Thread: how to delete windows.old file after installing windows 7?

how to delete windows.old file after installing windows 7?

I’ve dell laptop and I’ve windows 7 operating system in my computer. Before windows 7 I’ve installed a windows xp in my system but now, windows 7 has came in the market and it is the latest version of the windows so, I’ve decided to install and use this new o.s so, I can feel some new. after installation of windows 7, I’ve two file one is windows.old and second one is windows.old.000. this two file taking lots of space in my harddisk. It is almost taking more then 20 to 25 gb space in my computer. I want to remove this file from my computer, I don’t know how to do this.

Re: how to delete windows.old file after installing windows 7?

You’ve installed a windows 7 operating system by performing custom installation and you have not formatted a partition of your hard disk, due to which the old files remain in your hard disk partition. The files which is stored in your previous version of operating system are stored in your windows.old folder. This folder contains the data of previous operating system like picture, photos, files and document. You can delete this file from your hard disk but don’t forget to take the backup of your data so, no data loss is occurred.

I think you have not removed your previous version operating system from your hard drive before installing windows 7 in it. You have performed a customized installation in which and not formatted a partition during the installation process, the files of your older version operating system which you are using before this are still there in your hard drive and therefore you can see that windows.old folder. Remove all the files of previous version operating system from your hard disk, but take backup before deleting any file from hard disk.

You have not removed your previous operating system files from your hard drive and therefore you can see that windows.old folder. For removing that file from your hard driver you have to perform some steps to remove that. Before removing this file from your computer please take the backup of your data. Follow the instruction to remove the file: -- click the start button and open disk cleanup—type Disk Cleanup in the search box and then in the result list, and disc cleanup.—you’ll be prompted by the window to choose drive, choose the drive in which you have installed the window and then click ok.—on the dialog box of disc cleanup click cleanup system.—select the check box of previous windows installation and any other check box for the files which you want to delete and click ok ----at the last the message will appear “click delete file”.

You can see windows.old file because you have not removed your previous operating system files you have to remove that file from your hard disk to disappear that folder. For removing it follow the procedure: -- click the start button and open disk cleanup—type Disk Cleanup in the search box and then in the result list, and disc cleanup.—you’ll be prompted by the window to choose drive, choose the drive in which you have installed the window and then click ok.—on the dialog box of disc cleanup click cleanup system.—select the check box of previous windows installation and any other check box for the files which you want to delete and click ok ----at the last the message will appear “click delete file”. The above procedure will remove all the file of previous version.