Thread: How to fix Slow repositories update

How to fix Slow repositories update

I truly like Linux mint, and have been passing it on previously, although I have just had it for some weeks, but there is a trouble that I have came across that a friend I have suggested Mint to has as well protested about: Both synaptic and software manager are extremely sluggish at installing even petite programs, and they only quit the task while the internet connection hangs up provisionally. There is not anything incorrect with the speed of my broadband internet connection. Just to contrast, the 800+ MB LMDE iOS file downloaded off the internet with wget in 2 hour or so, but I am downloading Pings (994kB) at the instant and it is just at 20 percent later than half an hour. Are the repositories just congested with requests for downloads, or is this connected to my location or? If there is a way out, possibly this should be built-in in the Mint manual. If not, could a bit be done about it?

Re: How to fix Slow repositories update

I can generally download stuff via apt-get/Synaptic at an average of 500kb/s where I live, so this is not a trouble with the genuine repositories. Anyways, assuming that your system is of the similar architecture and edition as the system you need to relocate the packages to e.g. Mint 9 x64, I would say it is fairly secure to transfer packages back and forth if require be. Copy the packages you wish to transfer (they are all in /var/cache/apt/archives, as noted over) to the other system and setup them by means of:

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i /path/to/*.deb

Note that setting up physically with dpkg (as different to utilizing the APT frontend) will not check dependencies, but if your systems are the similar, it should not stuff, if not, don't attempt the over (e.g. if you boast a 64 bit system and the system you wish to transfer the packages to is a 32 bit system, the 32 bit system won't be able to setup those 64 bit packages). If anything goes incorrect, including unmet dependencies just enter:

Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install

I did "man apt-get" to discover what the apt-get -f install command would perform. "Fix broken" sounds nice. I am speculating if that is what I require to do to get FFmpeg, rhythmbox, soundconverter, and so on to be able to yield something! But I am a bit frightened to begin setting up things; for fear that I will break them even worse. Concerning installing .deb packages: If I right click on any of the .deb files it provides me the “unlock with GDebi package installer" alternative. I guess that is only the GUI, and just like dpkg it would not check dependencies? But if I could utilize the GUI in its place of the terminal command as a minimum it is one fewer thing I would have to file in my untrustworthy memory.

GDebi is a frontend for dpkg. Additional frontends for dpkg comprise apt-get, Synaptic, aptitude, mintUpdate, and so on. The majority of these are high-level tools intended to pact with every possible problems and configurations occurring from package management. dpkg is the low-level tool intended for basic package management tasks, that is the base for every additional package management tools in Debian-based distro; as such, dpkg itself does not comprise features like dependency checking, that high-level tools comprise. This comprises GDebi, of course, so while you utilize GDebi to setup individual .deb files, it will ensure dependencies for you, that "dpkg -I" will not do for you. On the other hand, since packages often based on every other, and GDebi can just setup one package at a time, you will obtain irresolvable dependency troubles with GDebi potentially, that is why I would suggest setting up all the .deb packages you wish, at the same time as, with "dpkg -i /path/to/*.deb".