Thread: Is there any way to make Mint File with no external repositories

Is there any way to make Mint File with no external repositories

I am newbie in Linux mint. I just newly install Linux mint on mu PC. Because my friend says that it is easy to use and virus free. That’s why I started using Linux mint. I successfully installed mint, everything works just awesome, but just the problem is I am not able to create mint file. I tried lots of but can’t get success. So therefore I just want to know that, is there any way which help me to do this without any external repositories? Any information or any help respected. Thank you…

Re: Is there any way to make Mint File with no external repositories

To make the mint file we require getting the below information:
    1. name of the application
    2. edition number of the application
    3. explanation of the application
    4. name of the package matching to the application
    5. symbol for the application

Collect information for the mint file with aptitude
    Code:
    sudo aptitude show Firefox
    The name is Firefox, the edition figure is 2.0, and the explanation is: Lightweight web browser depends on Mozilla. With this in mind you can begin create your mint file.

Get ready to make mint file. We will utilize mint-make for that. Unlock a terminal and enter:
    Code:
    mint-make
    After that, while provoked type the name, the edition number and the explanation of the application. While asked for repository, reply NO by pressing "n". One time ended mint-make should have shaped a folder called "Firefox 2.0". Depart in the directory and see its content:
    Code:
    cd firefox_2.0.0.3
    ls
    This directory just misses single thing, that is, an icon, to get the icon, we require installing the application.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install Firefox
    One time installed, seem in /usr/share/pixmaps for a firefox.png, applications generally setup their symbol in /usr/share/pixmaps as a png or an xpm, few applications setup their icon elsewhere so you might have to seem for it fairly. One time you establish it duplicate it to the folder:
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/share/pixmaps/firefox.png icon
    Verify with Gimp that the symbol is 48x48 and resize it if required.

If you want to create a mint file for something that is in a different repository, while asked for "require repository" in mint-make, push "y". This will have an effect on the steps and 1 will be setting that repository. You will require editing that file to give it the "deb" line which you generally put in a sources.list. As well, if the repository wants a key you need to add a line to "1" with "KEY the key address".

It seems that I have some trouble following it. I planned first to recommend PlayOnLinux for the Software entry, but that I have determined that I will make the .mint file myself. Here is my trouble: I don't know accurately the repo line for this package and while I gave the command to mechanically add the repo to sources.list it worked, but it does not illustrate the line in sources.list. However I can setup the program via Synaptic, but that is not helpful to me because I wish to discover the repo file not to setup it.