Thread: Linux Mint does not recognize hard drive

Linux Mint does not recognize hard drive

I have noticed that Linux Mint does not automatically recognize the new hard drives formatted in ext3, FAT32, NTFS as it would with an external hard drive connected to USB port. Is it possible to do automatically recognition by Linux Mint? If a command has completed, what should be enter, knowing that my login is jpdc1991 and my second drive is sdb1. I have done each and everything that I can do to solve the problem I am facing. If you can suggest any solution for the problem then do so. I will be waiting for the related replies.

Re: Linux Mint does not recognize hard drive

By 'recognize automatically’, I guess you mean' mount automatically ', that is to say not having to use the command' mount '. To achieve this, you need to edit / etc / fstab file. (Sudo gedit / etc / fstab). Look carefully at the structure used for drives already in the file. You should add a line like this: / Dev / sdx (or hdX) <mountpoint, eg. / Data> ext3 defaults 0 1. I am sure that this will definitely solve the problem that you are facing. If you have any other issue related to that then do let me know about that. I will definitely resolve the issues if it is possible for me.

In my opinion it is incompatible with the hardware because there is no problem, with the external hard drive (one NTFS Medione 160Go) and a USB key (Dane-Elec 8GB FAT32) are recognized upon insertion into a USB port. Only USB key 1GB (kingston one) causing problem (it is repeated in the workplace, yet it is formatted in FAT32). My friend was suggesting his external hard drives and usb is recognized every sequence when he want to add an additional hard drive that wants to know about linux mint. Now I am totally confused with this thing. I do not know what is causing the issue but need to know solution for the same.

I think that you should try this. sudo mkdir /media/sdb2 and after that you can do this: sudo mount /dev/sdb2 /media/sdb2. If this does not work, it really comes from 'unknown' on the type of partition in gparted apparently. How have you formatted the HDD? If it is blank, try to reformat with gparted and retries the command 'mount' (I mean the partition in question of course, because the partition / dev/sdb1 does not seem to be a problem). Try to do this and let me know the outcome for this thing. Let me know what happens next so that I can help you in a better way.

There is one more way around as I can see that you have created the directory / media / sdb, so we will try to mount your disk the above.
    sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb /media/sdb
    If it works, add the following line in / etc / fstab:
    /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb ext3 defaults 0 1
    For more information about the mount command in a terminal: 'man mount' and (I see that you are using KDE. If the method that is given in the above reply is not working then you can try this. I am sure that this will definitely solve the problem that you are facing.

I do not know if this is normal, but you are saying that now you have a folder named <mount point> which appears in my home. It will be better if you can try to provide more information related to your problem. What have you done since the last stage? Have you managed to get (have access) your hard drive? Have you modified your fstab file? If yes then how? Let me know the details related to this or I cannot help you to solve the problem that you are facing. I will be waiting for the response from your side because as you have you explained the problem it is really difficult for me to understand that.