Thread: Sound problem after updating kernel in Linux Mint

Sound problem after updating kernel in Linux Mint

After updating the kernel in my Linux Mint I am facing problem with the sound. My card is a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS. Now I am thinking of returning to previous kernel and could someone tell me if there is a possibility to return to the previous kernel? All manipulations I made so far on my ubuntu data not anything good, except that I rediscovered mint fun with Felicia. If you can suggest any solution for this problem, I mean to say suggestion for bringing back my system sound or the way to going back to pervious kernel. Any related help will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Sound problem after updating kernel in Linux Mint

If you remove the old kernel by installing or after installing the new and want re-install you can simply try to open Synaptic, do a search to 'kernel' example and by re-installing the old kernel, if still avail. Remember to reboot and then choose what kernel to Grub. I am saying this because old kernel is still in my boot page, but this force me to do the manip each time and if I forget I must reboot to get sound again. That is why I want to remove the new kernel, to avoid having the former expect better times. I hope that this will solve the problem that you are facing.

If you are not taking any action during the countdown starts the Grub kernel, usually the first on the list. So you just put the old kernel first in the file / boot / grub / menu.lst. To remove the new kernel you can just use Synaptic and remove all packages of the kernel you want to remove, I think 2.6.27.11. Do a search with "kernel" for example, the result should give you all entries in the / kernels of and you should find those of your two kernels. Simply select those of the kernel you want to delete, mark as "Select for Deletion" and click "Apply". You can also use the command line. In a terminal type:
    sudo apt-get - purge remove (Name of the kernel you want to remove)
    Then hit the Enter key.

I uninstalled the kernel via synaptic, I failed with the CRC in the terminal! I have one more thing on another pc mint Felicia, and not update the kernel. I am curious I wonder if the material or type of devices installed on the PC goes into play in the choice of the kernel. A priori not but normally with Mint Update you should not see the updated kernel because of the grading system updates that prevents the default cache and some updates including those of the core unless you have voluntarily allowed in the configuration or if you went "above" and have used Synaptic mintUpdate example for updates

This is not normal! On Ubuntu, Mandriva or other distros all the updates are available but there mintUpdate Mint normally by default unless the user configures it differently, only offers updates from level 1 to 3, or kernel is classified level 5 so you should not see the updates nor to make them! MintUpdate IS set to not show Levels 4 and 5 by default. The kernel is in. It Can Level 5 sincere break people's systems. Mainly the drivers that is wireless, graphics, cameras etc. It's up to The User If They Want to Take That Risk. I hope that this will help you to solve the problem that you are facing.

Whether you have an update of the nucleus is normal mintUpdate default do not show it and prevents you from making it all but it is there and you see if you use Synaptic or if you allow level 5, which is not the default configuration, in mintUpdate. An update of the kernel that can cause problems, especially with Ubuntu Mint does not recommend doing it, which is why they are hidden by default in mintUpdate, and rather wait for the new version of the distro six months after with a new kernel. Unless you're an advanced user, you know what you are doing and are able in case of problem doing and solve the problem. You said: "I checked the content offered at each Maj!" You probably want to tell you check in Synaptic? So it is normal that you have seen, Synaptic does not hide anything from him that is why Mint does not recommend the use of Synaptic.