Thread: Software manager vs Package manager in Linux Mint

Software manager vs Package manager in Linux Mint

As it is clearly mentioned in title that I want know the difference between Software manager and package manager in Linux. I want to know these things because I want to know this package manager that contains downloads are trust worthy or not. They can infect my system or not. I have heard that this package manager download contains virus. If this thing is trusted like Wine then there is nothing to worry about but I need the confirmation related to that. I hope you have understood the problem that I am facing and now I need to know the solution for the same.

Re: Software manager vs Package manager in Linux Mint

Well as far as I know, both of these things are front end for the APT hence it will not matter which one you are going to use. The thing is that software manage is designed for more visually appealing and it is really easier to understand and this will also provide the user an ability to post comments. If you are thinking of going with synaptic you can do so but it is somewhat confusing for a novice user. To be honest it solely depends on your choice which one to use. I hope you have understood what I am trying to convey. If you have any other doubts then do let me know about that, I will try to resolve that as soon as possible.

The issue is that Ubuntu has always offered users several ways to install packages. Some more easy access to frequently used packages such as adding and removing programs and from the center version 9.10 of Ubuntu software and more powerful as the Synaptic package manager and the command line from terminal. I think the great advantage of Synaptic is that you can access all the official repositories and in relation to the command line if you do not know either the name of the package you can find it with your browser or within the various categories, so you knowledge of the applications. First you open Synaptic go to Settings-Repositories Ubuntu software and check all the categories in this tab Ubuntu software enabled all repositories and when you close it will tell you that repositories have squeeze recharge and be updated list of packages including the recently repository the bottom left you will see that there are more than 24000 packages available. You can search through all these what you interest the great advantage of Synaptic? You could do the same terminal with the commands:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install nombredelpaquete
    But you should know exactly the package name

Another interesting feature that has Ubuntu 9.10 and it's good to use the command line is added directly PPA repositories sudo apt-add-ppa repository: nombredelrepositorio which will: Add the repository that you indicate. Download the key for the repository. This means that if you enable all the official repositories in Synaptic to reload and update later from the command line adds other repositories and return to update sudo apt-get update will have tens of thousands of packages available to you. For all that I've explained I prefer Synaptic supplementing with command line. If you are in any kind of repositories and the program is free software you have to compile from source.

But to install packages, use aptitude, I think so does Ubuntu. Not much how it works but I'll explain: Put terminal in "aptitude" to start. If you are not logged in as root, you cannot install anything. Then check out the classified packets, but if you find a package, do Shift +7 will open a window, then type and hit enter to search. If you put for example "debian" and you appear on the package you're not that also says "debian", hit the n pass it to another package with that word. When you have found the package, press + to select which you want to install or upgrade, or - to uninstall. Once you've selected all the packages you want to install or uninstall, hit the g, and the packages will go to install, uninstall you will recommend that you also install, etc and when you press the g vulvas, are carried out those actions. Also with the F10 can you drive up a menu with the cursor and enter, where you can see other things to do.

Ideally it would only use one method to not be wandering between applications, the difference should be the repositories, and maybe that's why you do not have software available that makes one, on the other. And verifies that unifies your repositories, I used synaptic and it seems very simple and good, I know the other, I cannot say. No, they are only alternative, at times, and methods of installing software both are recommended, but I go by the idea of Ubuntu software center because it is too easy to install. I hope that this will definitely solve the problem that you are facing.