Thread: Is Maemo 6 loosing compatibility with plain Qt and Symbian4

Is Maemo 6 loosing compatibility with plain Qt and Symbian4

Are Maemo 6 and Symbian4 together going to utilize the Dui/Direct UI library? If they are not making use of it , why not? Why is Nokia leaving from Qt single source/numerous implementation assurance for this specific scenario e. I can visualize one may require new widgets for new controls, but I was not successful to notice the technical cause to generate a new application class. So my question was that are there any compatibility issue with the maemo 6 while using with Qt and Symbian ?

Re: Is Maemo 6 loosing compatibility with plain Qt and Symbian4

Apart from a few API likeness I would not comment this is Qt code. And even if it is Qt code, with DuiApplication being a subclass of QtApplication, it is ipretty y obvious that there is no resource compatibility here. On symbian developer site there is a chat regarding a Qt based Direct UI, which shortened seems just like Dui. But in the documents I have seen there are no API's by such identity , so it is not likely for me to validate whether Dui on maemo 6 and Direct UI on Symbian4 are the equal and identical.

There will be sufficient time of Harmattan pre-releases for desisgners to make out how fine their plain Qt projects work and feel in Maemo 6, how appealing are the Maemo optimizations presented, how much additional exertion is required and if it is significant. And also abundance of time for renderining feedback to the Maemo and Qt teams, file bugs, etc.Going for Symbian4, is at an in advance phase. There is a 3 months gap between the Symbian fourth and the third edition.

There will be sufficient time of Harmattan pre-releases for desisgners to make out how fine their plain Qt projects work and feel in Maemo 6, how appealing are the Maemo optimizations presented, how much additional exertion is required and if it is significant. And also abundance of time for renderining feedback to the Maemo and Qt teams, file bugs, etc.Going for Symbian4, is at an in advance phase. There is a 3 months gap between the Symbian fourth and the third edition.

Qt for Nokia is an benefit as long as code developed for Qt can be implemented on lots of environments . That is after all why Nokia had overtaken it. So, with Qt in the stake, Nokia has a very superior worth suggestion to corporate developers, Qt is competent of concealing the disparity between Symbian4 and Maemo 6 for a plenty of applications , and that implies that Maemo 6 and Symbian 4 phones can be considered together as a sole platform. But, as soon as there are distinctions among Maemo 6 and Symbian4, there will not be a sole platform anymore, and the value suggestion Nokia is creating to corporate developers drop enormously in value.