Thread: Problems creating a Windows 7 recovery disk

Problems creating a Windows 7 recovery disk

Hi,
    I hope someone can help.
    I have a Windows 7 laptop (Packard Bell EasyNote TJ65).
    The problem is that it is looping when trying to start up and I am getting the blue screen of death, with ostensibly a message of driver_irql_not_less_or_equal and messages relating to iastor.sys
    These occur when I try to start up normally.
    I am only able to get into safe mode 2 times out of 10.
    When I try to do the above to create a recovery disk (can only do this in safe mode), I find that Control Panel only has the option of 'System' rather than 'System and Security' and 'System' only has options of Device Manager, Remote Settings and Advanced System settings. Having looked through all these options, I cannot find the option to create a Windows 7 Recovery disk. Is the System and Security option from Control Panel one that is only available in normal mode and if not, how can I create one?
    Any replies would be most appreciated.

Re: Problems creating a Windows 7 recovery disk

This is due to virus or the system file corruption. The file is corrupted and due to which you are not able to boot on normal mode. Once way is to replace the file. You cannot make recovery disk under such condition. You will need a working system for that. Try to run system restore first and then see whether that can help you out or not. Or else you can backup your data and run a fresh setup.

Thanks for that Enriquee.

I have already tried to perform a system restore several times, but when it tries to start up normally, it does the same blue screen of death. I can then bring it up in safe mode and it says that system has been restored successfully, but it still won't start normally after that.

When you say 'backup your data and run a fresh setup', do you mean reinstall, as I do not have an installation disk either!

If the system restore is not working with the issue of yours then i will advise you to check for the hardware connection which might be causing the issue with the same. Hardware failure is the another reason for the BSOD. If any of the hardware is not working properly then you can get this error. Just unplug all hardware and check whether the issue got resolved or not. Also try to update all driver of the system. Check Hardware is connected properly and not having loose connection.

Thanks Ekpah.

I checked all the hardware connections and unplugged all hardware, but still the same.

In fact, after Googling how to create a Windows 7 Recovery disk

Following the instructions, as follows:
    Instructions

1.Download the appropriate .torrent file from above that corresponds to the version of Windows 7 you have installed.
    2.Download and run µTorrent.
    3.Open the .torrent file you downloaded with µTorrent. (File -> Add Torrent)
    4.Select where you want µTorrent to save the 7 Recovery Disc.
    5.Wait for it to download.
    6.Burn the .iso file that µTorrent downloaded to a CD using these instructions.
    7.When you want to use the recovery center, put the CD in your drive and boot from it. This is usually done by pressing F8 at startup, or changing the boot drive order in the BIOS.

On reaching point 6, I found the Windows 7 folder that I unzipped the files to, but couldn't find an ISO file :

bootmgr (file type file),
    boot.wim (file type WIM in 'Sources' folder),
    bcd (file type file in 'boot' folder),
    boot.sdi (file type SDI file in 'boot' folder) and
    bootfix.bin (file type BIN in 'boot folder)

I burnt these to cd, loaded cd in lappy and tried booting off the cd, but Windows hung when starting (normal mode).

Have I downloaded incorrectly?