Thread: Need answers for some newb questions on Linux Mint

Need answers for some newb questions on Linux Mint

There are some newb questions that I want to ask for Linux Mint. I want to switch to this new operating system. As I said I am entirely new no this, I have some doubts on the same. Some of the starting things which I want to know about that is the driver support. I found that there were certain uncertainties at the time of booting. That can be due to the operating system bugs. There was some issue known about the formatting issue on the system. That makes the system much slower and cause other system to crash. I found the issue is also common when you try to run the drivers on your system.

Re: Need answers for some newb questions on Linux Mint

Linux Mint has a good look and it is really nice alternative to the traditional Ubuntu based systems. The advantage of this distribution is in contrast to the original choice of a Debian that helpful tools Mint and important multimedia packages are installed. Strenuous additional work incurred under the original account. There are some issues at that time of installation that causes issue but you do not need to worry about that. There are alternative fix for that. Right now the best way to install the same is by using Grub. You can use a dual boot system that will let you to enjoy two operating system on the same. There is not much issue in the first installation process. It is also possible to
    use a different bootloader.

Currently, it is possible to format the file system during installation ext3/ext4. Other file systems such as btrfs, ReiserFS, Reiser4 is not recognized by the kernel and can live, appropriate, be present on the hard disk, not involved in the installation. Special installation procedures such as RAID, LVM, format or other file systems as ext3/ext4 involvement, possibly will be possible with future updates. An LVM installation is possible by first installed Debian testing and then adapted to Mint. On some systems, when installing a faulty / etc / fstab created. This is a known bug and there is work going on the same. After installation run sudo blkid -c /dev/null.

There is a 64 bit version is also available. There are minor bugs in the same. There is a small matter related to an incorrect time displayed. This can be changed. For that you have to run the ntp package. You cna run that via control panel > system and date and time. You have to unlock the lock icon here and done. Choose the proper time server there. You might need to run the same via admin account. Edit here to add a new text on the same. Run the code - sudo apt-get install apt-xapian-index. Then run the code sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer. The Debian installer is substantially different from the installation program of the Main Editions.

For the first time before installing you can simply test the same. You can run the operating system from cd and check all the information. There are not full support is provided on that. Settings change nothing and will always have a relatively current system. After the stable release of Debian squeeze can also be changed to stable. Major changes have been made in this and users are quiet happy with that. There are tons of free software provide and that you can really enjoy the stuff for free. This operating system is not so buggy what you are thinking about.

If you have a nvidia support on your system and then there can be some problem with the installation of proprietary video drivers. For that run apt-get install nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-glx build-essential nvidia-settings nvidia-xconfig. Then for the cofig settings run sudo nvidia-xconfig. If you have a ATI support on your system then the command for that will be apt-get install fglrx-control fglrx-glx fglrx-modules-dkms. For the control panel run sudo aticonfig --initial. In this way you can fix the video drivers of your system either you are using Nvidia or ATI.