Thread: How to setup Root password

How to setup Root password

I just installed Mint, and the initial thing I did at what time I was able to log in was to alter the password for the root account by means of term. On the other hand, at what time I run any gui based application that need important rights I am forced to make use of the password that I typed at the time of installation. I know the answer must be easy, but as I am new to Linux I do not too much idea of it. I cannot figure it out. Can any person help me out to get rid of this issue? Your suggestion would be appreciated.

Re: How to setup Root password

I am fairly new to the Linux and ubuntu as well. Just installed ubuntu on my Samsung Notebook R540.During installation it did not inquire for setting up root user or else I did not detect with the enthusiasm of entering into a new world!My prime login has got administrative rights on my system on the other hand this password does not give permission for the root.How can I acquire my root password reset? Do I require installing it all once more and cautiously looking for some alternative? please advise.

I do not know how you altered the root password, in view of the fact that there is no root account enabled on Mint, or else any Ubuntu-based distro. The whole thing makes use of sudo to perform administrative tasks, making use of only your prime user password. All subsequent users formed do NOT have this right, except if you purposely enable it, as a result the first user's password is used for administrator tasks. There is not any root account.

So this is what I perform: su - <typed in old password> after that at prompt typed in password, which after that permitted me to type in new password. If you arr wondering, my user is still capable to log in by means of the password that I set up at the time of the installation. If I su -, I can make use of the new password. I entirely recognize what you signify by there is no "root" account in Mint; however I was able to alter the password with no errors. And now it appears that there is several type of disconnect someplace, I can with no trouble revert the whole thing back, however a bit confused why terminal will work plus gui based will not.

To make use of the root account password in the GUI you will require to be logged in as root.Just delete the root account as well as run as user? The password which you will enter for your user account you setup at the time of installation permits you access to root rights. If you desire to perform what root does, precede each command with sudo for example. Code: sudo rm – rf myfi*. On the other hand, one time in a terminal (shell), you might type. Code: sudo bash. As a result you just issue commands without preceeding with sudo.