Thread: What Linux Helena needs to run EXE files

What Linux Helena needs to run EXE files

I have just installed the Linux Mint 8 Helena and now I am trying to run some EXE files on this machine but I guess it is not supported by this operating system. I know that it would be needing some packages to be installed but the problem is I am not aware of those packages. Can somebody tell me that what I would be needing to run .exe files.

Re: What Linux Helena needs to run EXE files

The tool Wine (W ine I s N ot to e simulator), it is possible to install Windows programs on a Linux platform. Wine works in such a way that will be an imaginary Windows environment is created and captured the windows-specific commands and then converted to Linux commands. The principle in itself but works! And you can emulate almost any program, but unfortunately this is not always emulate smoothly. The problem is simply that the source code of Microsoft Windows operating systems to keep secret. Although it has been able to decipher much of the source code, but there are commands that are still unknown. Uses a Windows program these "exotic" commands, we can not operate or program, only unstable. Thus, for example, the Microsoft Office packages not emulate the traditional Wine. This you need crossover office, a special, but fee-based version of Wine. In general, however, can be emulated as good as any program with Wine and the above-mentioned drawbacks should not deter one from trying Wine.

With the help of WINE to run Windows programs directly and unchanged use under Linux. WINE is a so-called wrappers and simulates the Windows API. It is made between Linux and Windows program. The launched program is simulated, the Windows API, it is not noticed. The calls to Windows functions WINE intercepts and directs them to appropriate Linux functions (wrap) around. Example: There is a Windows "DosOpen" to open files. Gets a program to start this function, WINE from the call and forward it to the Linux-function "fopen" to open a file. The user of the program notes, of course, none of these things, it starts instead of "word.exe 'simple' wine word.exe. This technique only works on WINE X86 and AMD 64 processors.

Wine is an excellent way Windows applications on Linux platforms to install. This makes it easier, especially newcomers, to go into the Linux world, without losing any of initially successful programs have. The performance loss is indeed noticeably present, but keeps everything in all limits. Sorry, can not move any software under Wine to run, but are a decent amount of programming is now supported. Who wants to emulate games on Linux, WineX in need, a variety Wine with DirectX support. Codeweavers CrossOver Office makes it possible to install MS Office, but is paid for!

Wine offers itself for porting Windows API programs. There is a special development layer, which can be used to port Windows programs to Linux. The run then by all means, because they are removed by the combined left from the start missing functions. WINE is not suitable for hardware, to which there is only Windows drivers. You can not install Windows drivers with WINE and then run such as a win-modem or scanner under Linux. For such hardware is more suited VMWARE, if the (external) interface is supported by VMWARE. Even more features but from the beginning of the purchased linux standard hardware.