Thread: Shortcut to shutdown system in Linux

Shortcut to shutdown system in Linux

Hi all, I am new to the Linux operating system. Before that I was using the Windows XP. In Windows XP if I press windows > Key U > Key U then it shuts down the system. I am sure that there must be some shortcut to do the same in the Linux operating system. So it is request to the entire Linux user to provide me the shortcut of that. And also if you know any other important shortcuts that can be helpful to me then please tell me that also. There is one more thing that sometimes I get problem while shutting down the system and so the shortcut can help me at that time. I will thankful to all the replies.

Re: Shortcut to shutdown system in Linux

There may be some problem in the disk that you are using. If you have doubt that this is because of this then you can run the command below and see if that can solve the issue for you.
    sudo shutdown -r -F now
    I have seen many cases like this where the issue comes out to be disk error. This will fix the error if there is any on your system. This is one of the possible reasons for the issue. I wish that you will get the shortcut of this soon. Good Luck!!!

Hey, I know one shortcut to shutdown the system in Linux. You just have to press the <Ctrl><Alt><Del>. This should be done in the text terminal. When you run this command then the system will Shut down and reboot. This is the standard command to shutdown the system intended for a user who is at the text-mode console. You should not press the "reset" button directly if you want to shutdown the system. There may be many other shortcuts for that but I know this one and I wish that people will give more ideas for this.

You can try to use the “sudo shutdown –h now” and see if that is able to shut down the system. This should be without the quotes. This works in all the other computer but not working in mine. This is because CLI tool prompts me the password from the console as of which X/gdm was in progress - which is not able to be seen. gksudo is the X edition of sudo that can also do well for you. Probable thing that is to SUID root the shutdown binary. But there may be some security risk. There might be some other better methods to do that.