Thread: Cannot create root account in Linux Mint 10

Cannot create root account in Linux Mint 10

I have recently installed the Linux Mint 10. After finishing the installation it prompts me to make a root account for the system. So to do that, I attempted to open the package manager and made myself as root automatically but that was not the casing. I tried to do backward and forward with the help of the old style spelling. Can you tell me the way that how I can put root as well as admin rights if I cannot right to use them. So far I comprise no method to manage the system. Please tell me some fix for this. Thank you!!!

Re: Cannot create root account in Linux Mint 10

You can setup the root account for yourself at the beginning. You can do that with the help of the sudo command. When the privileges are needed while installing packages then this will ask you for an administrators password. This is the root for you in reality. In my case, I am having two names setup in my system. One of them is the main one and other one is simply the regular user. If I require performing anything that requires the admin rights then I log on to the Admin account and after that I perform what I require to accomplish. Once I am completed with that then I go back to the regular user.

I would like to tell you that the Root user is nothing but the superuser going on a Unix / Linux system. Root user has the entire rights or else permissions. . The root user be able to perform several things an normal user cannot accomplish on system for example start / stop services, grant / revoke some permissions, user management and there are many more. The root user is the mainly advantaged user for the system as well as he has complete power above it. By default approximately every Linux distributions as well as UNIX like operating system generate the root account at the installation time. You do not have to generate a fresh root account. You can make use of su otherwise sudo command for runing administrative task like the root user.

There should be only one root account and if there are more than one root users then it is a security risk for your system. Root is having the UID of zero within /etc/passwd. This means complete manage above the system intended for the root user. You can put some user id to 0 to award limitless permissions given that you have login the same as root. Though a few alternative of UNIX gives supplementary account. For instance BSD gives a toor account in adding up to a root account. It is suggested that you make use of root merely when necessary and there is no requirement to generate a fresh root user account.

It should create the root account while installing the Linux Mint in your system. Have you tried all the suggestions that are given above and also all the other possible solution for this? If that are not able to solve the issue for you then you can try to install the Linux Mint again and follow the onscreen instruction properly while installing the Linux Mint. I also have installed the Linux Mint 10 recently in my system but not got any issue like this. So you can try to install that again. This time install that with a new copy of setup and see if that can solve the issue for you or not.