Thread: Webcam not working on dell XPS 17

Webcam not working on dell XPS 17

I have a Dell XPS 17 and my webcam stopped working. No longer works, shows no sign of life. Have reinstalled the driver, Dell Webcam Manager software and nothing. The webcam does not turn over, someone has been there? Does anyone have any tips for me to solve this problem? i think that windows 7 is not a good operating system and hence please suggest a suitable solution

Re: Webcam not working on dell XPS 17

Here i think you will have to install the drivers once again on your system since it is not installed on your system correctly or it is not update. so first of all try to update the drivers and then after restart check whether you can use your webcam or not. if yes then simply you will have to get this problem by updating the drivers on your system.

I have since even a major concern to me! My webcam, which works (eg Skype) built in MSN can not connect to the opposite, and therefore turns to single pair seconds later. I am logged into the dormitory network, which is protected by a firewall, on my own PC, the firewall is turned off. I've heard it should somehow be possible (by setting Socks5?) That my webcam works despite dorm network in MSN? Can me here maybe someone of you help? I have since that is itself a clue! Thanks in advance .

I hope I understand this time right. you yourself are not directly connected to the Internet, but your Internet connection runs on another PC that has a firewall. i think you have to really just tell the firewall that MSN is a trusted application (which generally would be a mistake anyway; D) and activate appropriate the necessary ports (ports MSN uses Oo?) Hope I have the times somehow understand correctly

I once had the same problem. If your firewall is off, ask your colleagues even if the firewall / chat partner is turned off. I would not switch off too dangerous! For me, I've been waiting for least one month ... and then we went against. And this problem occurred only with 2 people. MSN does not use fixed ports in the router you would have to make free! If MSN is connecting, really should include the Cam functioning.

Hi - first post.

My integrated webcam will only work online with Skype etc. when hard wired to the internet (plug in cable from modem - disable wireless connection).

My guess is that this is a problem with usbvideo.sys in Windows 7 which won't work properly while using a wifi connection.

My girlfriend is in hospital at the moment having chemotherapy to fix a life threatening disease. Therefore the use of my webcam to communicate with her was essential - and should have been straightforward. I've spent many hours this week trying to resolve the problem with different drivers/rollbacks/device manager - even purchasing a new usb webcam (but it uses the same usbvideo.sys!!).

So one solution is to plug in your internet connection via the cable. Another might be to purchae a webcam with it's own driver that does not use windows preloaded usbvideo.sys (if such a camera exists - can anyone confirm?).

I trust Dell Engineers will work as hard as I have this week to ensure that this minor software issue can be resolved, as small things like this can have a large effect on the lives of people that try to use your computers, and assume that things will work in a straightforward manner.

I will be checking back on this thread regularly for progress on this common issue.

If it is a dell webcam that you are using then locate the execute file (WebcamDell2.exe) that is in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Webcam\Dell Webcam Central

After that just right click on it, then left click properties, then clicked on the compatibility tab, then changed compatibility from windows XP to Windows Vista service pack 2 (the latest one they had).

Thanks for that - I tried it on day 1 of my adventure into webcam diagnostics.

I've actually deleted the Dell Webcam programme from my system entirely as I don't need it.

Just need the Windows driver (usbvideo.sys) to work while using wifi - that's the only issue as far as I can see.

Thanks again for helping.