Thread: Cannot install Kopete on Linux Mint 9 KDE

Cannot install Kopete on Linux Mint 9 KDE

I have just installed the Linux Mint 9 KDE on my desktop machine which was running OpenSuse 11.2 earlier. I was happy and everything was working on this new operating system. For keeping the same data application on this OS too which was on Suse, I am having a backup of config and data files of softwares. I am having problem while installing Kopete as when I am trying to install it then it just gets freeze. Can somebody tell me how can I install this program on this machine?

Re: Cannot install Kopete on Linux Mint 9 KDE

I think the problem would be the version of the Kopete that you are trying to install on your Linux Mint 9 operating system. Actually some of the programs needs to installed by using different configuration files for different operating systems and it usually happens many times for the different versions of the same operating system. I suggest you to check that is there any other different setup files to install it on Linux Mint 9 operating system.

I suggest you to check it under Settings as tweaking there could help you to install the program that you want to install. Go to the Setting -> Approaches. As you go on your account. Change Access settings. Because what if you can find. I recommend you to screw the firewall as sometime it could be stopping your operating system to install the program that is not meant for it. It will at least let you install, Then it might start running as well if you are lucky. But I always prefer habs in the panel. Right click onto panel -> Add Program.

The standard installation procedure for Linux Mint is that you first check if the program you want to install this, not in APT and thus about the package management is available. But you take it easy Synaptic and search for the package that you want to install. If that is not there are (rare enough), then search the net for a. Deb file. These are installation packages from Debian. Since Mint is based on Debian, but can use the super fine and so also integrate into the system. To build packages themselves (compile) should be the last choice of installation options in Mint.

You want to use Gnome, but install a KDE application. Identified, involved in the "K" in the name and also that wherever the question is Kopete, KDE will be addressed. Kopete even directly into KDE (desktop). This is not impossible, but not really particularly good idea:

• Kopete will start very slowly, since it is the whole of KDE dependencies must mitstarten
    • Kopete is not particularly well integrated with Gnome is not much for KDE, it will not be stable
    • Kopete, the installation is a rat tail in programs that need to be installed, it's running, lead to

There are plenty of alternatives, such as Pidgin, which are designed for Gnome and Default is already installed. Take it easy and please Look into the wiki. There are enough newcomers links that you can hopefully avoid wasting your time with such problems. Btw. Kopete Pidgin is inferior in nothing. Some voices even claim that it is better than Kopete.