Thread: Is it possible to upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10 to Linux mint

Is it possible to upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10 to Linux mint

I am working on Ubuntu 10.10 from a year now and it is really working the best for me. And I have installed it on my laptop which is nothing but Sony waio. Now the thing here is that I am having the Linux mint setup with me on my flash drive and I want to use the same for upgradation. I mean to say that since I have already installed the Ubuntu on my laptop then is it possible for me to upgrade the same for Linux mint because both of them are altogether same. Have anyone ever tried doing this if yes then please let me know how to do the same.

Re: Is it possible to upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10 to Linux mint

As said by you that you are having the Linux mint setup on the flash drive of yours so what you have to do is just install the same on the laptop itself but on another drive because it seems to me that you can upgrade it since the setup is in the flash drive. But make sure that it is a bootable or the setup that you are using can read in the bootable mode. I am, sure that if the pen drive is bootable then you can easily install the setup on the laptop of yours if it has the appropriate memory space.

It is clearly not possible to upgrade the Ubuntu to Linux mint. There are several changes in Ubuntu and Linux and they both are altogether different and also the configuration doesn’t matches with the same. And in my opinion is very tough to do the upgradation and if in case you try and force the installation then it will definitely me harm the already install the operating system that is already being installed. I mean to say that both of them have different configuration and they will definitely not match with each other at any sense.

I have gone through the problem that you are facing and it seems to me that there is no need of upgradation because it will prove disaster for you only. I just wanted to say here is that there are some applications that will not work in linux because they are based the ubunt platform and viceversa. And if you really want Linux on your system then you can download a copy of it from the official site and then install the same on the laptop of yours and then see who it works.