Thread: cannot restore backup in linux mint

cannot restore backup in linux mint

I am facing a big problem with my linux mint. Well the problem is that while upgrading from linux 9 to linux 10. I had used a backup tool to store a taz.gz file. On retrieving that particular file from the backup tool it gave me some calculating time and it said that it is trying to recollect the file. So I left it for around 2 hours but nothing happened. After that it gave me an error and in that error it was specified that the particular file cannot be recovered. It is some invalid compressed data and it exits. So what can be the problem here? Do you have any idea regarding this? Then let me know.

Re: cannot restore backup in linux mint

Well the particular application that you were using for the backup may have been updated or you might be some different back up application. Well this type of problem I quite common this days. So I would advice you to not to use a standard type of application for the recovery. You can use good application like bacula or rsync. These applications are a very good application and they never give such type of errors.

I would ask you to see the mint 9 live disk. If it is there then do try booting from that cd itself. Once you have inserted the cd click on the restore option that you have got. On clicking the restore option it might help you restore all the home folders back to the system. I think this is the best option that you can use now. Well the same problem is faced by many of the users who try backing up their home folder. So do try with the suggestion accordingly and let me know if it works or not.

Well the solution for this problem is to get a backup from a good recovery tool. You have not mentioned the tool name that you had used for the recovery. Otherwise I could have suggested some good names for the recovery tools. Since you will not downgrade the operating system. You can try with the system restore. Linux gives you the option of the system restore that process will take around 1 hour. So I hope this suggestion will help you.

Hey thanks a lot for the suggestions everyone. Well let me tell you that i have tried with all the suggestions and none of them have helped me. So the last option is to go with the system restore. I am trying to look out for more information on the system restore. So if you have any other method than the system restore then do let me know. Since I am not clear with the procedure of the system procedure. Anyways thanks for all the responses that you have given till now.