Thread: No sound below 20% volume level in Linux Mint

No sound below 20% volume level in Linux Mint

I am using the Dell M1530 laptop for my personal use. I have been operating it with Windows OS, probably the most favorite one- Windows XP. Recently I have switched to Linux Mint. After upgrading or swapping to this platform everything works fine except the Sound problem. I noticed that when drop my Volume control bar toward below 20%, the sound get completely vanished from the laptop. I couldn’t even hear a slight vibration from its speaker. I mean the sound gets completely muted and there is no output from the speaker. Do you have any idea about how to fix this issue?

Re: No sound below 20% volume level in Linux Mint

I never heard this kind of issue before. But it probably happens when you decease all the sound variants to it minimum level. I mean there are equalizer settings in most of laptop. This varies sound to different effect. Each one option in equalizer plays a different role. When adjust them individually you will notice slight variation in sound. When you alter all of it then you probably get different sound from the speaker. You need to play with this stuff in order to get proper sound affect.

I heard that the Linux Mint in some laptop is lacking in several drivers. But I haven’t heard any issue about the sound driver yet. I think this is the first one I am seeing regarding the Linux Mint. So make sure that you have got the proper driver and installed in your laptop for sound chipset. Otherwise you won’t get the full use of speaker incorporated in that laptop. Also get any additional music player. It might help you to get the proper output.

It probably be the issue of the hardware failure. Have checked it before? If not yet I urge you to get the other Linux distribution Live-CD and run it in your computer. I suggest ubuntu is best. Because it is the most popular Linux distro. Now play any song and decrease sound level less than 20% and observe what you will hear. If still the same problem then type the following code in your terminal window: gnome-alsamixer. I understand, "alsamixer" as well as "pavucontrol" did not cover some achievement.

First of all I urge you to install the most up-to-date alsa snapshot. Appears to arrange out my sound issues by way of a comparable onboard sound card. First of download and extract the file which has the installer file. Then try the following command to accomplish it.
    Code:
    ./configure 
    make 
    sudo make install-modules 
    sudo ./snddevices script