Thread: How to access Linux partition with another Linux partition?

How to access Linux partition with another Linux partition?

Well I was already having Linux Mint 9 on my computer. I have recently installed Linux Mint 10 on my computer at different partition. Now I am having both Linux Mint 9 and Linux Mint 10 on the same hard disk in different partition. Well I am unable to access the Linux Mint 9 partition after installing Linux Mint 10. Please tell me if you are having idea to access the partition of Linux Mint 9. Thanks in advance.

re: How to access Linux partition with another Linux partition?

Well in my case I was unable to access Linux from the other Linux. Normally I was having NTFS partition of the hard disk and this partition usually shared by the Windows and Linux based operation systems. If you want to access the Linux from other Linux then I think you have to chroot it and then try to access the partition. Well you will think what is chroot? Well chroot is a operation that makes changes in the root directory of the system regarding current process and its children process. If the program is re-rooted to other directory then it cannot be accessed by the files which are not included into the same directory. Please share your experience with us so that other users can learn from it.

Well I really don’t know why this happening on your system is? But I can tell you a solution that you can use to solve your problem. Well I want to whether the partition is auto mounted or not? If the answer is yes then I am suggesting you to browse the partition using root id. I think let you try to access the partition using root id. I hope it will solve your problem. If you have any queries about the solution then feel free to ask the same.

Looking at your situation and assuming following details I am mentioning the following solution I hope it will help you to solve your problem. Well I am assuming that Linux Mint 9 is installed on sda5 partition and Linux Mint 10 is installed on sda6 partition. Now you have to launch the terminal and copy paste the following code on the terminal
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/sda5
    sudo mount /dev/sda5 /media/sda5
    Well using above solution you will be able to use file browser of desire choice to navigate into old partition of the Linux Mint. I will be really delighted if the above mentioned code is helpful to you.

Well I don’t know how to access Linux to another Linux. But I know how you can access the windows using Linux. Well Linux does not have ability to see NTFS file system. However Linux has ability to read FAT32 files. So I am suggesting you to format the second drive with FAT 32 file system and you should keep all the files which you needed to be there in Linux. Once you boot the Linux you will see all the files which are kept into FAT32.