Thread: Reset the password in Linux Mint

Reset the password in Linux Mint

I have recently installed Linux Mint 10 on my computer and I am newly started to use this operating system. I have created only one account on the Linux mint and I don’t remember the password to login. So I am unable to any modification with operation system and even with the files which are handled by the operating system. Can anyone advice me to break the password? Or how can I create a new password on the operating system? Thanks in advance.

Re: Reset the password in Linux Mint

Well I am providing following code to solve your problem. Well you have to launch the terminal. Now copy paste the following code on the terminal
    Code:
    sudo su
    Now copy paste the following code on the terminal.
    Code:
    passwd USERNAME NEWPASSWORD
    Well in above code USERNAME is the name of the user who’s password is forgotten and you should enter desired password at NEWPASSWORD. I hope it will work for you.

Well if you are using ubuntu then you can use the following instruction. Boot your computer. Now press Esc when the Grub is prompted. Now press e to edit. Now go for the line which begins with kernel. Now press e from the keyboard. Now you should go at the end of line which can be look like ‘rw init=/bin/bash’ Now press b to boot your computer. You computer will boot without password in the root shell. Now you should enter desired user name and password. Once you have entered the user name and password restart your computer.

Well looking at your situation I suggesting you to use sudo passwd root . Well this command only work on the ubuntu system or system which is derived from ubuntu. This command will help you to reset user password. As per my knowledge you should try it and see whether it is working or not. If it is not working for you then please inform me for the same. Wish you all the best.Thanks for reading my suggestion.

If all the above mentioned solutions are not working for you then I think you have to reinstall the Linux Mint on your computer. Well you can save the data which you have stored in the home partition by using live CD. Also I am advising you that you should create two accounts on your system. One account should be used by the normal user and the other account can be used to do updating the system.

I have a linux mint 9 system that I purchased off of ebay but I don't have a root password. When I try to follow these instructions and press ESC during a boot I get a boot menu to select what drive to boot with. Am I missing something here? What do you mean when prompted for the grub menu? This system starts up in Mint no matter I seem to do, therefore, I don't see how anyone can edit anything.