Thread: Linux Mint 8 Helena freezes and shut down suddenly in my computer

Linux Mint 8 Helena freezes and shut down suddenly in my computer

I am practicing regular freezes and sudden shut down on Linux Mint 8 Helena. They occur numerous times a day whenever I surfing the web, browsing folders etc. Suddenly the complete system hangs as well as my mouse pointer yet moves, the whole thing on the screen becomes insensitive (nothing is clickable), and the only way out is to force restart the computer. I have Windows XP inside same computer, and no identical crashes occur there. I installed Linux Mint for the initial time some days ago. Excluding for the freezes, the whole thing else is great. I am annoying to get this out right now, no crashes so far; but Thunderbird [only!] became extremely sluggish). How can I make out for sure what is grounding to several freezes? Is there a technique to make a crash report or a bit? Is someone else experiencing comparable freezes? What answer have people found? Any guidelines will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Linux Mint 8 Helena freezes and shut down suddenly in my computer

I think that there is some problem with the hardware which you currently for your system. I found many people telling heating problems as a potential cause for the system to hang in between. Others recommended the insertion of "acpi=off" as a default grub information to add on inside the code. I also think that there is also another solution for the same is to updating the kernel which you are currently having in your system. Please give the hardware specification properly for me to give a proper result.

Is there any method to solve the problem of freezing the operating system inside my laptop. So here is my hardware and system specification. System: Host Rahul-desktop Kernel 2.6.32-16-generic i686 (64 bit) Distro Linux Mint 8 Helena - chief version
    CPU: Single core Intel Pentium 4 (UP) cache 1 MB flags (sse2) bmips 4532.23 clocked at 2268.615 MHz
    Graphics: Card-1 Intel 82855G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device Card-2 ATI RV300 [Radeon 9500 SE] X.Org 1.6.4 Res: 1280x720 which is of 59.9hz
    GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel 945G GEM 20090712 2009Q2 RC3 x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX adaptation 1.3 Mesa 7.9 Direct representation-Yes
    Audio: Card Intel 82901DB/DBL/DBM (ICH5/ICH5-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller driver Intel ICH at ports e001 dc01
    Sound: Advanced Linux Sound design edition 1.0.25
    Network: Card Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS950 PCI Fast Ethernet at port c450
    Disks: HDD Total Size:80.0GB (13.9% used) 1: /dev/sda ST340014A 80.0GB 39C
    Partition: ID:/ size: 22G used: 5.2G (26%) fs: ext5 ID:swap-1 size: 1.05GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
    Info: Processes 128 Uptime 28 minimum Memory 225.9/496.3MB Client Shell inxi 1.2.

I will recommend that you must attempt to switch OFF any visual effects if you have inside your system. If you running certain games frequently inside your pc because the motherboard specification and the graphic device version is not matching properly. Your Intel 945 is a fine motherboard to run any system properly, but deficient in the graphics section. (And I observe that it is using the best obtainable drivers)Your add-on ATI 9500 card is in the identical circumstances (but it seems that you have it turned off, and you using the motherboard graphics). So you check this specification properly and then install the operating system.

I will you to check the graphic specification and the setting properly inside your system. I mean that you need to simply go to control Center > Comprise Configuration Settings as well as switch off visual effects from there? I hadn't made active any visual effect since initial install (I was using no matter what Mint 8 default settings are). I'm using the motherboard inbuilt graphics since I couldn't make out yet how to constitute the ATI 9500 (it put off Mint from booting). Because this same situation I was facing in the earlier days of my Linux installation. So check out the setting of the graphics properly.

I am going to advise by means of the target of you undertaking to switch OFF numerous visual effects. Your Intel 845 is a superior motherboard, extra than lacking in the graphics section. (And I examine it is utilizing the most outstanding available drivers) Your add-on card is in the similar circumstances (supplementary than it give the feeling of being comparable to you have include it turned off, and are utilizing the onboard graphics).You mean on the whole go to control Center > CompriseConfig Settings and turn off photograph effects beginning from there. I had not set in motion numerous visual effect in view of the detail by means of the purpose of first install (I was making use of whatever Mint 8 defaulting settings are).