Thread: Ubuntu 10.04: Executable Bit

Ubuntu 10.04: Executable Bit

I newly downloaded and setup 10.04 Beta 1, and while I am annoying to setup a program from CD, a safety bit thing pops up, and chunks the .exe file. While I attempt to create it executable from the permissions menu, it utters I cannot because it is read only. Anyone have any idea why this is occurring? Anyone else have this type of problem? Please someone provide me some way to disable this.

Re: Ubuntu 10.04: Executable Bit

You can just alter permissions of files where either you are planned as the owner or you are an associate of the group which owns it. You can depart to where the folder with the file is, right click and unlock in terminal to begin in that directory, and after that alter the permissions that way, I think. The file browser sprints with standard user permissions, so if you attempt to do it graphically the alternatives will be grayed out. Windows executable files won't sprint only below a Linux desktop. You'd require to be running an effective Windows machine or a Windows emulator in arrange for those files to sprint. As well, you won't be able to alter permissions for files on a CD because those files cannot be distorted on the soar. A CD that is non-rewritable or has been confirmed cannot be printed to. That is possibly where the read only fraction comes from on those. That is the RO in CD ROM.

I was utilizing wine to sprint the exe that worked out nice in 9.10 but won't play sphere in 10.04. I realize that CD ROM is read only but how are you ever supposed to sprint the exe from the CD if the permission can not at all be distorted? There must be a method of running it. I do not make wisdom to me. I am reverting back to 9.10 anyhow as I am containing some more problems with this beta.

It seems like this was alter in nautilus. It seems that, it no longer unlocks files with wine except they are executable. I concur with this alter. Even windows executables should respect the security limitations of the UNIX file system. Users with the windows approach should not be able to twice click setup windows malware because they installed wine. You should be able to alter the default mount alternatives of CD's, though. I utilized to know how, but I don't suppose this setting is in GConf any longer.

Here I am can’t say any more only want to say that I figured it out while you the file you wish to unlock. Right click and click open with additional application, and choose utilize custom command. The present command should say alert launcher. Put back that with wine and you should be excellent, that’s how I got my Diablo to sprint. Lemme know if that efforts for you.

I lastly got that Windows based program to setup in Wine. That program name is Logworks3setup.exe and every time I attempted to setup it I obtained the notorious Executable bit block. After that I distorted the program name to Logwors3.exe and it executed excellent? Don’t know what the word setup does to Wine or Ubuntu but one of the two does not akin to it. Program installed currently so I can observe if it will in reality effort.