Thread: Can I have Gnome Panel in place of LXDE Panel

Can I have Gnome Panel in place of LXDE Panel

I have the Linux Mint installed on my system and have the LXDE Panel here in my case. I just want to know if I can have it replaced with Gnome Panel. I know that it is possible; but really I have seen that it is not going in the way that it should go with. Would like to know if there can be any possible here for this here. The LXDE panel that I have here is ugly. In addition to that I have seen that it is not that functional as the Gnome. So, I just want to know if this can be done with ease. Also please let me know if after making this replacement if there will be any issue with the performance of my system. I will be going to run the system and the application in the same manner as I was doing with the LXDE Panel. Thanks in advanced.

Re: Can I have Gnome Panel in place of LXDE Panel

I am of the opinion that I will be really able to help you with the situation that you are having here. If you have the main version of the Linux or Ubuntu or Mint and you are running LXDE from there; then you will be required to run this command: sudo apt-get install lxde. After you get the LXDE installed just get logged out and then change the session so that you are in LXDE. Now in order to make the replacement to come in action you will be required to modify the autostart file. This autostart file is present in the following location: in /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/. The command that you will be required to run is: sudo leafpad /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart. After the command getting executed you will be able to see the following four options:
    • @lxde-settings
    • @xscreensaver -no-splash
    • @lxpanel --profile LXDE
    • @pcmanfm –d

From the above four you will be required to change @lxpanel --profile LXDE with @gnome-panel. After this done successfully you will be required to make a log out again. I am of the opinion that you will see the replacement done there successfully.

I have shown here myself to let the author know that you can just follow the above steps and see if that really helps you there. In addition to this regarding the performance issue that was pointed out there. So; if you do the things in that manner then let me tell you that you will not at all have any issue with the steps given above. At the full usage of the CPU the CPU usage for the GNOME panel will just works same as that it was with the LXDE panel there. I think that it is somewhat about 2 percent and not at all more than this.

Well after making the replacement you will be required to make some more changes so that you can have the things running in a much simple manner and most importantly running without any issues further. After this you will be required to edit the main menu of GNOME. This step is necessary so that you can be out of the LXDE but without recompiling the things there. As the first step you will be required to download pessulus. After this you will have to run Sudo apt-get install pessulus. After this command execute successfully then open up the pessulus there. Then click on the Panel and make a check on the BOX with the option: Disable logout. Now run this command there: sudo apt-get remove pessulus. Log out and then make an exit from there.

I have something that can help you to install the GNOME panel in the empty Desktop. For this you will be required to make a right click on the DESKTOP and after that create a launcher so that the gnome-panel can be executed there. Make sure that you have the system updated first and after that you will be required to go with the following commands. Run this command: pacman-Syu and after this you will be required to run pacman-S gnome so that base of the GNOME desktop can be installed here. For rest of the things of the GNOME desktop you will be required to run this command: pacman-S gnome-extra. See if you are going with installing the panel for the first time then this will really help you there.

Thanks a lot for this wonderful explanation of the procedure that you all have come here with. I am really happy to have the solution in the case here. I was really hoping to get something really workable and I think that I have managed to get the same here. I will give this a try and if I get stuck with something then I will let you know about the same here. Also thanks for making the performance point clear. I was really counting on that.