Thread: Linux Mint: How to upgrade kernel

Linux Mint: How to upgrade kernel

I have the Linux Mint here running on my system and I just wanted to know if there is a way by which I can just upgrade the Kernel of the Linux. I have heard that it is always better that you have the kernel and the core parts of the Operating System upgraded. So I just gave this a thought and was thinking of asking the things here. Will I be able to have to take care of something really important so that I do not end up in messing with the things? I do not want to get myself stuck with all the extra issues here. Please let me know a way by which I will be able to get the things done in a pretty nice manner. Also please come with the solutions in the simple manner so that I can follow the steps with much ease there.

Re: Linux Mint: How to upgrade kernel

Yes let me tell you that you will be able to have the graphical environment enhanced with upgrading the KERNEL. Well it seems to me that this is one of the benefits that you can go with here. I have seen that there is an update available for the LINUX and let me tell you that the file is of a very small size. At the first you will see some of the issues but then it offers reduced latency in graphical environment. But be sure that after making the upgrade you might see some of the improvements with the Graphics but you may see some difficulty with the text mode of LINUX there. In that case you are always required to see if there is a patch available or not. See for the same there and if you find difficulty with functioning then for sure you can go with the things here.

Here is the solution that you will definitely like to go with. If at all you are having your LINUX registered then you can make use of the up2date command. Here is the command that you will be required to type: # up2date -f kernel. If you are talking about the SMP kernel then you will have to use this command instead: # up2date -f kernel-smp. This was the case if you are having the Linux Read hat version. If you are having the one form this Fedora Linux or CentOS or RHEL 5 then you can make use of the yum command and in the following manner: # yum update kernel. If you have already downloaded the RPM file then you can make use of the # rpm -ivh kernel* in order to progress with the updates.

Please let me know what is the current version of the LINUX Distro that you have on your system there. Let me have a look at that and then I will let you know if you will be able to have the installation of the Kernel in that case there. For this to happen you will be required to launch the Terminal Window and then in that you will have to see for the main Application menu there. You will be able to see this option beneath the System Tools or Utilities. After doing this you will see a command prompt at the bottom. In the command prompt type this command: uname –r. This will let you know the version of the kernel. Please let me know the same here. Hope to see the result in the next post of yours. Be pretty quick with this there.

The new kernel versions are distributed as patches. So if you are having the version 1.1.1945 for your kernel on the LINUX and then you see a patch called as patch46.gz; then all you have to do is apply this patch there so that you can upgrade to version 1.1.1946. If you see that the things went smoothly but if you still want to have a look for the same then you can go to /usr/src/linux and look for files ending in .rej. The scenario is that some of the older versions of patch use #. Open up KPackageKit and after that search for the linux-headers there. Now you will be required to make yourself involved in the matter here so that you can find the best kernel. After you find the best match you can hit APPLY. Close KPackageKit and then see if that works handsomely in your case there.

I am of the opinion that you will be required to go with the following site here: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ there you will be able to see a huge directory of kernels tree there. You will have to make a search for the Kernel there so that you can have the things for you there. In each directories you will see BUILD.LOG , CHANGES and in addition to this you will also see some of the items that will start with linux-headers, linux-image and linux-source. From the above you will be required to see for linux-headers and linux-image. Now download linux-headers file that is ending with all.deb and linux-headers file ending with i386.deb. In case of the linux-image file you will have to see for the one that is ending with i386.deb. That is it. Please make sure that you make the download in this manner only. Finally reboot the system and then you will have the kernel upgraded.