Thread: Linux Mint: System freezes a lot

Linux Mint: System freezes a lot

I have Linux Mint installed on my system and let me tell you that I have all the requirements specified for its smooth running. Also the installation of the Linux on the system went smoothly. After getting the things done in the smooth manner yet I have seen that system after working for some time starts to hang here. Is there anything with which you all can help me out? I will be glad to know a way if possible to get out of this freezing issue of the LINUX Mint. I have 2GB RAM and ATI Radeon Graphic Card to name some from the list. At first I had seen that the system was working fine but after some days of use I was able to see this type of issues here. Now I have seen that after the system boots it is just in the freeze state. Any suggestion on how I can get recovered from this.

Re: Linux Mint: System freezes a lot

Looking at the case it seems that the load on the system of yours is too high and hence you might be getting the issue there. Have you made a dual boot on the system or is it that you have installed a number of applications there and hence you are getting the issue. It may have happened that some of the processes might be taking excessive RAM for its functionality. If this is the case then I would like you to see if you can have the LINUX running via Virtual Machine and see if that can solve some of the issue there. I am sure that by doing this you will not only enjoy the other operating system but in addition to that you will also see both the Operating Systems working in flawless manner there. Let me know if I was correct.

No I do not think that the issue can b caused because of the Lack of RAM. Actually it can but not in your case. You have mentioned that you have 2GB of Ram and hence it seems to me that this much amount should really take care of the load of the system that is being discussed above. It really seems to me that some of the application there might be causing the issue and if that is really the case then let me tell you that it will be great if you can KILL that offending application. Here are the steps that you will be required to follow. In the Gnome you will have to add an applet called as Force Quit in the panel. You can do this by making a right click on the Panel and then select the Add to Panel option. Then under this option you will have to select Force Quit applet. Run the Force Quit applet and you will see a window that will ask you to kill the application. If you will click on any of the application then it will get killed there.

Here I am with another workaround and see if that can really go in your way there. You will be have to launch the Terminal and in that you will have to type the following command there: gnome-keyboard-properties. After this go in the GNOME; under GNOME you will have to select System after that select Preferences and finally Keyboard. Then after this you will have to see for this option Layouts once you find this enter in this option and make a Tick on the Box there so that this option can be enabled. Actually you will be required to make use of the Ctrl + Alt + Backspace keys so that the X server on the LINUX can be closed. Follow the steps and let me know if the things really go in the manner as specified above. This key combination Ctrl + Alt + Backspace actually allowed the display to resume in the event of a crash. You will be required to edit as root the file / etc/X11/xorg.conf and add the following lines:
    • Section "ServerFlags"
    • Option "DontZap" "False"
    • EndSection

It will be really a nice choice if you can make use of the following commands xkill or pgrep and kill. The xkill command line application works in the similar fashion as the force quit panel applet. You can give this command a try for once. If there is some issue with the terminal window i.e. if it is locked up; then you can change to some other terminal window. You will be required to use CTRL-ALT-F1 keys. Now run this pgrep -l appname command. You will be able to know the process ID once you run the above command. After that you will have to run the command kill ___ where ___ is process ID. After the process gets killed you will have to make a return and for that use CTRL-ALT-F7. See if the suggestions made here really works.

Really it seems that you will have to make use of the magic SysRq so that you can have the frozen system there recovered. Please make use of this command if the Ctrl+Alt+Backspace do nothing. You will be required to press the Alt and SysRq (Print Screen) keys. BY pressing down both the KEYS you will have to type the following KEYS: REISUB. If you can not see the SysRq key on your keyboard then let me tell you that it is the same as Print Screen key. After the successful entry of the command you will see the system booting. There are some of the meanings of the keys that I was able to fetch: R give control to the keyboard; E init the term signal; I init the kill signal; B reboots the system. Hope that you will find it descriptive.