Thread: Reducing Swap Size in Linux Mint 10

Reducing Swap Size in Linux Mint 10

Well I have recently installed Linux Mint 10 with 64bit version on my computer. I want to reduce the size of the swap partition from the hard disk. Is there any way to achieve the same? I also want to know whether the performance will affected after reducing the size of the swap partition in the Linux Mint 10. Please let me know if you are having an idea to solve my query. Your response will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Reducing Swap Size in Linux Mint 10

Well according to me Swap partition is used in very less number of times. I think it won’t make any performance issue if you have reduced the size of the Swap partition. Swap partition is used to save bits of the data before it is written on the hard disk. In very less situation Swap memory is required in large size. So if you are using 4GB of RAM then 512MB of memory is quite enough for the Swap partition.

You have to use the following instruction to reduce the memory size of the Swap partition. Very first step is to insert the live CD on the disk drive. Now boot the computer using the live CD. Now you have to use partitioning tool such as Gparted to reduce the memory size of the Swap partition. If you have reduced the memory size of the Swap partition then you can use that free memory to increase size of the other partition. If you have deleted the Swap partition from your hard disk then you have to delete all the reference of the Swap partition from the /etc/fstab file. I hope above mentioned solution will help you to solve your issue

Well in my case had never done swap partition on my hard disk from around one year and I haven’t found any problem still so far. I am thinking swap partition does not affect the performance of the system. As far as I know Swap partition was required by the older kernel and in many situations it was not used by the kernel. So I recommend you to reduce the swap partition size instead of entirely deleting it from the hard disk.

Well I really don’t know how to solve your problem but I am writing some information that will help you to carry out the installation process. Well when you are doing the installation you have to set the partition and mount point similar to ‘\’and ‘\home’. You should not define the mount partition or you must specify small amount of mount size. You can easily upgrade from the one version to another version by using the ‘\’ and ‘\home’.