Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Wine programs are not loading in the Linux Mint 10 menu

Operating Systems

Old 12-01-2011

Wine programs are not loading in the Linux Mint 10 menu

Well I am facing really strange problem with wine and I am to do anything to solve the issue. Well I have installed Linux Mint 10 on my computer. I have also installed Microsoft Words 2007 using Wine. I able to launch the program using Gnome menu but I am unable to do the same using Mint menu. It simply prompts ?Error file not found?. However it works great using Wine. I really don?t know to work around on the situation. I will be really helpful if you can suggest some idea to solve this frustrating situation. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Old 12-01-2011

Re: Wine programs are not loading in the Linux Mint 10 menu

Well I really don?t have any idea about the solution for your problem but I let you know about the Wine program that you have installed on your computer. Well Wine is a software application which is available for free on the internet. It helps you to run the Microsoft Windows based application on the UNIX or Linux based operating system. It also has its own software library which is normally known as Winelib. Well it?s a compatibly layer which provides you an option to implement DLLs in the Windows based program call and it process to alternate for the Windows NT kernel.
Old 12-01-2011

Well looking at your situation I really don?t understand that Why are you required Microsoft Words 2007 on your Linux Mint? I think there is a compatibility issue between Linux Mint 10 and Microsoft Words 2007. I am suggesting you to check the following file path and see that whether it was useful or not. /home/your_account/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/?. Using this you will able to access the file that you have installed in the Wine directory.
Old 12-01-2011

Well I have solved the problem by removing the Wine start command from the computer. I have used the following line of code on the terminal.
Code:
env WINEPREFIX="/home/al/.wine"
Now I have used the following line.
Code:
wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe /Unix /home/al/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/al/Start\ Menu/Programs/Microsoft\ Office/winword.lnk
I have copy pasted the above mentioned line with the following
Code:
/home/al/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office12/WINWORD.EXE
Now I am ready to use Microsoft Words 2007 without any problem. If you have any query about the solution then feel free to ask the same.
Old 13-01-2011

Well I think there is some serious compatibility issue between the Linux Mint 10 and the Microsoft Words 2007. If it is possible you should go for the Openoffice instead of using Microsoft Word 2007. Well it is available for free on the official website. According to my experience it is a great alternative for the Microsoft Words 2007. Hence you should try to use Openoffice on your Linux Mint 10. Anyway thanks for the reading.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,