Thread: “gedit” corrupted the .txt file

“gedit” corrupted the .txt file

Yesterday, I edited one of the text file in my computer and tried to save that file but just before that gedit declare some problem with the "encoding". It was gew "non-ASCII" character that I typed there and I think that because of this it shows me that. It does not notify me and saved the file forcefully. After that when I tried to open the file then it was not able to open it and just showing me the message that why this is happening to me and how can I solve this problem.

Re: “gedit” corrupted the .txt file

As you know the name of the file and so it will be easier for you to locate the file very easily for you. You can try to boot into the safe mode and from there try to access the file from there. If that is able to open that file then you can copy and the contents of the file to a new text file and then save that file. Now boot the system in the normal mode and open the newly created file. See if that can solve the issue for you or not.

Check if all the files are not getting opened or it is the issue with the single file. If the problem is with all the files then it is possible that the file needed to run the notepad is corrupted and that is why it is showing you the problem. So you can try to repair the system. Take the operating system CD that you have installed in your computer and boot from that CD. It will ask you for the option of installation. There you have to select the option to repair the system and press enter. This will repair the system and replace all the corrupted files in your system. After completion of the process, it will reboot the system and you will be able to open that file.

You can try one more thing that take the file in any external drive and take that to any other computer. Copy past that in some other computer and try to open that. If that is getting open there then the problem is with your system and you need to either repair the system as suggested above or you can also try to do the complete installation of the operating system to fix this issue.