Thread: Linux on PowerPC eMac

Linux on PowerPC eMac

I have MacOS X Tiger running on the eMac here. Well I was just experiencing a lot of trouble with running the MacOS X Tiger on this eMac here. I saw that it was just freezing a lot. After discovering some of the facts I have seen that in order to make the MacOS X Tiger run here the system is required to have RAM of more than 256MB. SO now I have come to know that I will not be able to run MacOS X Tiger on this. Can you all there please let me know what are the LINUX DISTRIBUTIONs that can be made to run on this system here? Will be glad to receive the solution for my case soon here. Let me know which is the Linux Distribution that will run light on the Power PC eMac. Will I have to take some special steps with the installation?

Re: Linux on PowerPC eMac

On the first note let me tell you that the latest version of the LINUX are really not going to work in the manner and that swiftly here. If at all you want you can have the older version of the Linux here installed in your case and see if that can solve the issue of yours here. Also as per the RAM requirement you must have seen the amount of RAM that is required at first and then must have gone with the installation of the same there. No I do not think that you will be required to make any special consideration in order to run the installation of the LINUX on the eMac.

In total agreement to what has been said above and let me tell you that if at all you want to make good use of the eMac in your case then you can have the Damn Small Linux here in your case. Well it is an old operating system and in addition to that also let me tell you that it will require the RAM of just 16 to 24 MB and not more than that. After the installation of the Damn Small Linux the whole setup will get occupied in less than 100 MB of step but more than 50MB. I am of the opinion that you will be able to make good use of eMac with this there.

In my opinion if at all you want to make use of the eMac and at the same time you want to really put it to some good use then it will better if you can increase the RAM on this system and then can make use of any operating system on it. Well that is what it looks to me as if it is utilized and just installing the older version of the LINUX and keeping it ON seems to me just keeping it alive and nothing more than this. So here are the things that you can do so that eMac there can be made to work faster. Upgrade your RAM; After that upgrade the operating system; Perform a thorough software update and finally get rid of unneeded files and applications.

Yes you will have to take care of some of the things so that you can go with the installation of the LINUX on the emac here. If you are planning for the UBUNTU then here are the steps that you will be required to see for there:
    • First of all you will be required to press Alt + Ctrl + F1 so that the console session can be started
    • Then you will have to create a backup of /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    • Now the very necessary and the critical step you will be required to run the following command:
      wget http://homepage.univie.ac.at/georg.k...nvidia.working
    • After this you will be required to change de with en
    • Now the file that you have edited i.e. XF86Config-4 file you will have to move it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    • Then Reboot the system and see if you can have the installation with not many issues there.

Well if you really want to make use of the eMac then let me tell you that the best way is to make the upgrade on it and see if you can have the upgraded version of the OS and the Software installed on it. Well if you do not like the suggestion then the version of the LINUX that will run on the eMac with the current configuration are: Damn Small Linux; Feather Linux; Finnix; Freespire; Knoppix; NimbleX; openSUSE. Well really it will be appreciated if you can have the 256 MB RAM and after that have the LINUX MINT or UBUNTU in your case there.