Thread: How to add caption/text to Gnome menu button

How to add caption/text to Gnome menu button

I am going to do the plain installation of the Linux with the help of the GNOME and I want to put in a text caption to the "start button". I also want to change the default icon and also the tooltip. I don’t have any idea to do that but I know that it is possible to do. So can you please tell me that how can I be able to do that. If you have any idea about this then please post that here. I will appreciate each and every reply for this issue.

Re: How to add caption/text to Gnome menu button

To modify the default icon and the tooltip, you can use the GCONF. GConf is nothing but a system that is used through the GNOME desktop surroundings for maintaining the configuration settings intended for the desktop as well as applications. Modifications to this system are proscribed through GConfd, a daemon. GConfd looks out for modifications in database and when they are modified then it relate the fresh settings to application with the help of it. This skill is recognized as "auto-apply", balance to "explicit-apply", that needs users to push an OK otherwise Apply button to construct modifications come into result. The word "instant-apply" is occasionally used, evaluated to plain "apply".

I would like to tell you that the mintmenu will be loaded by the mint by default. Have you replaced that? You can try to run a different version of the mint in your system and see if that allows you to do that. I cannot say that it is surely possible to do that but you can attempt to observe which files are installed through 'gnome-main-menu' package. Did you endeavor right-clicking on menu button to observe if it is having any "preferences" submenu in it? In Mint Gnome it works in the same way.

You have not mentioned anything about the version that you are using. If you are using very old version then this will not be available on that and if you want to get these facility then you should have to search and install the latest version of it on your computer. I am not saying that this will definitely allow you to do that because I am also not using that personally but there are more chances that updating will solve the issue for you. So it is not a bad idea to try this once.

You should read the guide for this and see if that is mentioned there or not. If it is having that feature then they must have mentioned about this on the guide or we can say manual. This is the best way to know the answer for this. So search for this on web and once go through that and see if you can get the answer for that. If you found it then please post that over there so that it will be useful to all the other users who are also searching for this.