Thread: Proprietary Drivers for LINUX

Proprietary Drivers for LINUX

I have the HP Pavilion DV7 notebook here in my case and along with that I have the ATI mobility Radeon Premium Graphics card here, I just wanted to know if at all I will be able to get this thing running here and that too without any issue there. It just came out with the curiosity. Well I have seen that in case of the Windows 7 there is no need to install the drivers for some of the components and most of the drivers are inbuilt; so I just asked the same for the LINUX MINT here. So please let me know if I can go without the drivers or is it that I will be required to have the proprietary one. Please let me know if I can have the open source drivers instead here. Please come up with the solution soon in the case above.

Re: Proprietary Drivers for LINUX

Well let me tell you that it totally depends on the situation that you all come up there. All I have seen is that some of the users have found the standard drivers working for them there and hence they were no using the Proprietary Drivers. It will be really fine you can have the solution for you there. If you do not find the standard drivers working then it will be simply great if you can have the Proprietary Drivers installed in your case there. Please see for this and decide for the same in your case there. Let me tell you that you will not at all find any issue with working or the performance of the LINUX here.

Let me tell you that it is really better to have the Standard drivers installed and have them working in your case there. AS if you find them not working then you will be able to have the issues on your side there. In all the cases that I have seen I have noticed that the standard drivers really stand on top of all the other drivers there. Actually the drivers are made according the things and the requirement of the system there. If only you find difficulty or some issue in the DISPLAY of the Screen then only you should have the Proprietary Drivers in action.

In case of the Windows 7 that you have pointed out let me tell you that yes Windows 7 has the drivers for almost all the components that you have on the Mother Board. But in addition to that let me tell you that the drivers are of the basic level and you really cannot have them working for the full fledged things here. You will be required to install the drivers for the components later for sure so that thing can work properly. Well that was the case with Windows 7 but when it comes to Linux or its distributions let me tell you that you will have to have the drivers installed in your case. You can not go with empty hands in case of the LINUX here. Hope that I have made the things here clear enough here. Let me know if what I have said is true.

I have seen in some of the case the Proprietary Drivers have given the issue and hence the immediate removal of that thing is what asked here. If at all you go with the installation of the same drivers i.e. Proprietary Drivers and if you want to come back to the Standard one then you will be required to follow the things in the following manner here and see if that really does help you in uninstalling the drivers there. You will have to go to the Control Center and there you will be required to go in Additional Drivers and then finally select the ATI driver and then click Remove. Same thing you can follow if you want to uninstall the standard driver there. Hope that you will find the steps useful and working here.

Reagarding the Standard Drivers and the Proprietary Drivers; let me inform you that I have seen only this things there. I have really not seen anymore other then this here. I really do not think that there are any Open Sources drivers that can really help you out with the things out there. Enjoy your playing game with the ATI graphic card that you have here. I have also one more situation in which you might get caught with the issue i.e. video does not work after logging in. Then in that case just select your username and then enter the password in the password box. After that see if you can find the Gnome listed at the bottom and then beneath Gnome you will have to select the Gnome Safe Mode and see if the issue and the drivers get rid from the system.