Thread: Linux Mint: Shortcut for a folder on the desktop

Linux Mint: Shortcut for a folder on the desktop

Well I have the Linux Mint 9 running on the system here and well that is fine. When I try to make a link association for any application I have seen that it can be made without any issue but when it comes to the folder I have seen that I cannot have this made. Let me tell you the things in detail that I actually want to make here. I want to have a shortcut made for the Applications folder that is located in the following location root/usr/share. In addition to this I want to know how I can have the icons to be out of the desktop folder and have them on the Desktop. Please let me know if there is some simple means by which I can have this done. Any help in the matter will be appreciated a lot. Thanks in advanced.

Re: Linux Mint: Shortcut for a folder on the desktop

I had a look in your case there and I have come to the conclusion that if you are using the Linux Mint 9 and that too the KDE version of that; then putting the folders or files directly on the desktop is really not possible at all. If only you want this to happen with the Widgets then you will be able to make this thing working there. If you want to do this you will have to make a right click on the desktop and then unlock the Widgets there. After this you will have to click on the Activities and then select Add or Change a new activity from the Desktop to the Folder View. Once you are done with all this things there then you will be able to add new items on this newly created Desktop there. Let me know if this really helped you there in any manner.

Well I am of the opinion that you are making use of the Linux for the first time or let me tell you that you have just started using this operating system lately. If that is the case here then let me tell you that you will have to see for the basic steps of creating the Shortcuts and if you really want to have some suggestion then let me tell you that in case of the UBUNTU you will be required to make a Right –Click on the Desktop and then you will have to launch the a new launcher. Hope that you will have the same thing in the Linux Mint there. After launching the new launcher you will be required to enter the name and command. Give this a try in your case and see if you can have the shortcuts for the folders created.

Yes it is true that UBUNTU is one of the distributions of the LINUX but at the same time let me tell you that when it comes to the code or the functionality then there is mighty change. You will not be able to make use of the things in the said manner. You will be required to make a RIGHT_CLICK on the particular folder and not on the Desktop. After that you will see the Make Link option there. Hoe that this will create the required thing for you there. Well the new versions of the LINUX that are coming in the market have a close resemblance to the Windows but in addition to that the things are going to work in different manner. Also the same thing can be observed between the different distributions of the LINUX as well.

Thanks a lot for making the suggestions in my case here but let me tell you that I was able to get success partly with all the things that you have suggested here. I was able to get merged the Desktop Folder but after that I was not able to go with the suggestions that were made in the above posts there. My query of putting the Application folder on the desktop still stands at the same place there. Also in addition to that the make link option that you all were suggesting above also did not go in my way. In Linux Mint I was really not able to see this option.

Have you tried the Drag and Drop method that we use to do in case of the Windows. It seems to me that you will be able to have this thing working in your case and that too pretty handsomely there. Well for sure you will have to make sure that when you make the selection of this you do it the same manner as in case of the Windows but when you go with the DROP then see while doing this you press the ALT key. If you do not find this working then you can try to go with this option instead. In the Create new link paste the URL of the Application folder; i.e. /usr/share/applications and see if after making a click on it you get the Application folder for you. Conclusion is that you can make use of the Link to Applications for the Applications and Link to Location for the Folders.