Thread: Enable Wi-Fi with new Mint Linux Install

Enable Wi-Fi with new Mint Linux Install

Last week I bought 1005hab ASUS net book. I installed Mint 10 on it as a dual boot. It seems nice but I cannot get my Wi-Fi to work on it. My lot of work is pending as I am not able to access internet. From installation of Linux Mint I didn’t access net. Is there someone to help to connect to internet? I expect help as early as possible. Thanks in advance. Now my Wi-Fi connection is completely disabled. I forget to tell you that I am using an Asus-1101HA.

Re: Enable Wi-Fi with new Mint Linux Install

I also faced same kind of problem in last month, but I am unable to solve that. When you ask me than I try to solve your problem by searching on Google. I took a reference of many sites from which I got one solution for you. According to my concern try install some wireless updater using updater. Updater allows you to install new software versions as well as easily uninstall them. This solution works in my case hope it will work for you.

If you are unable to use updater on your desktop pc. Than to solve your problem you have to deal with your wireless card. Getting the latest driver fixed for me. For doing this you just need to follow steps given below:-

1. Get the newest driver. Open a terminal (for example via <alt-F2>, type: xterm, press <enter>, or use the Mint menu) and type in the terminal.

2. Untar and unzip the driver, and go to the directory with the extracted files:
    tar xvfj compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2
    cd compat-wireless-*

3. The package has numerous drivers, so select the ath9k driver for compilation (if that is your driver) and compile (this may take ~5 minutes):
    ./scripts/driver-select ath9k
    make

4. Install the driver:
    sudo make install

5. Now unload the old drivers and switch on the new ones you just compiled:
    sudo make unload
    sudo make wlunload
    sudo make btunload
    sudo modprobe ath9k

This should do the trick, which will work for you.

If you are still unable to solve your problem with the help of updater as well as latest drivers then I suggest you to first make a call to your internet service provider make sure that everything is right at their side. Also check whether your machines Wi-Fi button is in in-active mode or not. If it is not in active mode it will never allow you to connect with Wi-Fi. If this is a issue and you are unable to turn it on active mode then try this trick. Press the Wi-Fi button during the boot up, you machine will be automatically connects with internet connection.