Thread: Software installation on Linux

Software installation on Linux

I have recently installed Linux mint successfully and it is really as I already heard is a great system. I need your help regarding one issue that is, I want to install more software’s on it for example say Java JDK. But it does not work. On internet I searched for “jdk” in the "Software Verwaltung” and I found “sun-java6-jdk”. But when I click “install”, nothing happens. I also tried to install Chromium browser, but that also doesn’t worked. Is there anybody who has reasonable answer for my question.

Re: Software installation on Linux

As you are saying that you are trying to download all those software’s from internet I suggest you to first check whether your internet connection is ok or not. Sometimes happens that your internet connection is enabled to handle so many loads and cut down. Make a call to your internet service provider and do inquiry regarding your internet connection. If there is no problem related to you internet connection. Then check whether you changed anything in Software repositories. If you used it before make the default setting there might be possible change in software repository settings restricts you to download new software’s.

If your software repository and internet settings are correct, then to download and installing software’s I suggest you to use Synaptic package manager. Search for all applications that you want to install then click the apply button at the top. I think that if your system is German it may read something else. Also
    Have you tried Synaptic package manager? Search for and mark each item you want to install then click the apply button at the top. I'm guessing if your system is in German it may read something else. Also you have the command line as,

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk

and
    sudo apt-get install chromium

If neither of these work you may have a bigger problem

I finally suggest you that try to install software’s from live CD instead of using internet. Let’s check whether a problem is arising only at that time when we try to install from internet or not. After searching most of the sites of Google I come to know that there are three basic steps while installing software on Linux they are as, first configure the installation first then compile the software completely after compilation install binaries. You can see detailed information as well as commands for performing each and every action with the help of Guide’s available on official site like TechArena.