Thread: Move Home directory to separate partition on Linux

Move Home directory to separate partition on Linux

I am System Developer. Currently working on “Linux mint’s tenth edition”. During installation of operating system I not concern about this issue, but now I understood that it would be better to have /home in its own partition for easier updates. Can someone tell me how to move my /home to different partition after installing? As I am working as system developer I need to know this for applying that concept in my future projects. Help expected as early as possible.

Re: Move Home directory to separate partition on Linux

I refer this one from Linux official book published by them. They mentioned in that it is possible to move “/home” to its own position or in simple word say partition. First you have to create a sufficient for your /home directory. You may have to use that new hard drive or resize the current hard drive to do this. I hope you are able to create new partition. For an System developer ti is an easiest thing to do. Next , step is mounting your partition to mount your create d partition you just have to enter following commands.

$mkdir /mnt/newhome
    $sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/hda5 /mnt/newhome

After that I think your problem will be solved.

According to my concern since “/home” directory will have hardlinks ,softlinks , files and along with that nested directories. A regular copy may not be work for you. Therefore we use something that I learn from Debian’s guide. First enter commands Mentioned below:-

$cd /home/
    $find . -depth -print0 | cpio --null --sparse -pvd /mnt/newhome/

Take care about everything is copied over correctly. You might have to do some tweaking and honing to make sure what you get it all right. Next unmount the new partition, by entering the command:-

$sudo umount /mnt/newhome

And make a new way for home directory

$sudo mv /home /old_home

Since we already move /home to /old_ home, there is no longer a /home directory. So first we should recreate a new / home by;
    $sudo mkdir /home

and then mounting new home with,
    $sudo mount /dev/hda5 /home

If all make directory and mount command unable to give you desired result then I suggest you to go with Auto-install. I am not guaranteed that this will work with your case or not. But I am feeling that you need to re-install. There are easiest steps to get your desire result are mounting and make directory command. If they were fails to create new home directory than there will be issue of your available memory. First check your memory is more than efficient, which doesn’t creates any problem to commands for performing their functionality.

hi man, u want to move u r home dir first u check mount commaned and u check wher it was mount ex:/dev/sda3 , first u unmount and cross check any userquotas are install,and u unmount that one ane simply mv /home /home.save and check selinux context also