Thread: Fans remain on during standby

Fans remain on during standby

When I place PC into desktop, it seems to do it, but CPU and P supply fans remain on. Is there a way to fix this? In the past this desktop has not had this problem. Could this be the result of replacing the P. supply with anew one?
    Asus A7N8X, 2 GB, AMD 1830 Mhz, XP Home w/SP-3, Phoenix Tech BIOS Rev. 1013, 11/12/2004

When I place PC into desktop, it seems to do it, but CPU and P supply fans remain on.
    Can you explain us what you want to say with this?
    What you actually do:- "I place PC into desktop"
    I dont understand what you are trying to say! Can you elaborate on this a bit more? Unless & until we understand what you are tring to do we can't be able to help you. Waiting for your reply.

Hello Tominfl!
    Welcome to TechArena community!
    You can Introduce Yourself
    I see you have a problem are you trying to ask why your CPU & power supply fans remain on while you put your syatem on standby mode right?
    If this is what you want to ask then i must say its because your machine is on Even if its on standby mode your power supply is working & passing power to all your computer parts including your CPU fan. when you switch your computer off then only these Power supply & CPU fans will stop spinning!

I should have re-read my problem description before posting -- it's no wonder you can't see what the problem is. "Desktop" should have been "standby".

My problem is weird. My desktop goes into standby, but CPU and power supply fans don’t shut off. All 3 fans used to shut off some time ago (last year?). Fans DO shut off during standby on two other PC I have. Isn’t that normal for standby? What can cause this? How do I fix it?

Basically, there should be a setting somewhere in the BIOS under Power Management with enable/disable options for CPU fans. Just check it.

The CPU fans won't shut off because the simple reason is that you are just setting your computer in standby mode and not shutting down. In standby mode, the computer runs with the minimum resources and turns off the monitor, HDD, etc but not CPU and other main components. These components need fans in order to avoid overheating.

As far as power supply fan is concerned, it totally depends on the power supply's capabilities.

This work for me. Thanks to the student of details who offered it.Originally posted by JOCKYW2001

"Well, you can't use dumppo to permanently set maxsleep to S3."

"This isn't true, and "maxsleep" isn't what you want to change anyway--"minsleep" is.

The "best" way to go about using STR is to enable "Suspend To RAM" in the BIOS before installing the operating system. Unfortunately, this isn't common knowledge, and no one (i.e. Asus) goes out of their way to TELL you this. I didn't know myself, back in January when I built my A7N8X Deluxe system.

The good news is that DUMPPO.EXE can correct the matter--without having to be run at every boot. Here's how:

1) Download DUMPPO.EXE from Microsoft (to ensure you get the correct file):

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/products/Oem...cpi/dumppo.exe

2) Go to a command line rooted in the directory DUMPPO.EXE resides in, and enter this command:

DUMPPO.EXE admin

DUMPPO.EXE will list some basic information about the current sleep policies. For example, here is what I had before correcting matters using DUMPPO.EXE:

C:\Downloads>DUMPPO.EXE admin
    Admin policy overrides
    Min sleep state......: S1
    Max sleep state......: S4 - hibernate
    Min video timeout....: 0
    Max video timeout....: -1
    Min spindown timeout.: 0
    Max spindown timeout.: -1

The problem here is the "Min sleep state" value. When you tell WinXP to enter standby mode, WinXP uses the "Min sleep state" setting to determine what ACPI standby mode to use. In the case above, WinXP sees and uses S1 (which is normal standby, where all that happens is that the hard drive(s) and monitor(s) power down).

3) Correct the "Min sleep state" value using the following command line:

DUMPPO.EXE admin /ac minsleep=s3

4) Reboot, and when you do, go into the BIOS and ensure that the "Suspend To RAM" value is enabled(!).

5) Back in Windows, issue the DUMPPO.EXE admin command again, exactly as in step (2), and you should see something similar to this:

C:\Downloads>DUMPPO.EXE admin
    Admin policy overrides
    Min sleep state......: S3
    Max sleep state......: S4 - hibernate
    Min video timeout....: 0
    Max video timeout....: -1
    Min spindown timeout.: 0
    Max spindown timeout.: -1

The "Min sleep state" value should stay at S3, across reboots, and your system should be able to enter STR mode. (Incidentally, when I ran DUMPPO.EXE, I tried half-heartedly to monitor the registry and file system for the changes it made, but came up with nothing.)

If your system enters STR (i.e. S3) mode properly, but does not restore itself properly (e.g. the monitor stays blank, you get BSOD errors, etc.), the most likely culprit is a buggy or incompatible driver or piece of hardware.

I figured it was worth resurrecting this old thread in order to try to help...

Re: Fans remain on during standby

Yeeeeah!

Just registered to say "thanks", man! The dumppo utility is good and the info you provided was as accuare as possible! Solved my Dell 380 standby issue in notime!

Thanks,
    Cheers!