Thread: Is Windows xp professional capable of having Raid 0 technology ?

Is Windows xp professional capable of having Raid 0 technology ?

I have a desktop system , in my desktop system I have installed Windows xp professional edition of 32 bit , however I was thinking to enable my system with a Raid 0 technology , but I am not pretty sure about this, so I have posted my question in this forum to ask you that will the Windows xp 32 bit professional edition allow the Raid 0 technology to be installed in my system. Please give your comments on this question ?

Re: Is Windows xp professional capable of having Raid 0 technology ?

If you desire to install Windows xp professional 32 version as you had mentioned on a RAID array you will have to generate a Raid array for this , after doing that you are allowed to install Windows operating system in your computer , but first of all you will have to check both your motherboard and the BIOS , although the BIOS is not much the bigger concern , you must have the compatible motherboard that must allow you to configure the Raid settings.

If you have opted to implement the RAID0 technology which is also called as striping , this is one of the methodologies being used to enhance the performance as it actually divides data into parts and stores in two different parts , but if you are under the impression that this measure will really improvise as far as the speed and the performance is concerned then let me tell that there will be a very marginal increment which will almost be unnoticeable .

As said in the above posts , once you have created the Raid array you will require to configure the drives with the help of a utility that works just next to BIOS's POST startup. The utility will help you to set up a RAID 0 array if you could not do it yourself . Once the array is created , you will have to make use of the XP disk to enter into setup. On you Windows screen at the bottom , it will prompt you to press F6 and ask you to install third party RAID or it may also ask you to install SCSI drivers.

But you cannot directly create a raid array, you cannot accomplish it unless you have a hardware to support a RAID array, I am not quite certain whether it will work if of your system has a Serial ATA drive, but there are the chances that it will be supported locally by your system board or an additional PCI slot , or in other case you will require a floppy drive it will come along with the hardware , then after that you will have to insert the disk and select the driver , the rest you can leave upon the Windows xp operating system.