Thread: Want all personal data on E, so need to move the user directories to E globally

Want all personal data on E, so need to move the user directories to E globally

Recently I got a brand new notebook with windows 7 preinstalled. I would like the entire personal data on E, so require moving the user directories to E. Not by independently changing the position tab on dozens of folders, however globally. So the entire new users I produce will have their user folder as well as docs on E .so please tell me some suggestion so that I can get closer to my solution.

Re: Want all personal data on E, so need to move the user directories to E globally

There are third party resources which give you the steps to shift user folder by editing the registry. However we do not advise you to perform this. If you are editing the registry then prior to that you have to produce a restore point. For that you have to go to System by pressing the Start key, after that you have to right-press on Computer, as well as after that pressing Properties. In the left pane, you have to press on System protection. If you are provoked for an administrator password or verification, you have to type the password or give verification. Then you have to press on the System Protection tab, as well as after that press Create.

Re: Want all personal data on E, so need to move the user directories to E globally

You can shift the entire C:\Users folder to a different drive quite simply after a window is installed. you have to Boot to the installation media, as well as obtain to the command prompt utilize Robocopy to duplicate C:\Users to D:\Users: robocopy c:\Users d:\Users /mir /xj
    a. /mir inform robocopy to echo the directories, this will copy the entire files plus permissions
    b. /xj is extremely significant, this tells robocopy not to go after junction points. Make sure that the files effectively copied. Then you have to Delete c:\Users and then generate junction that identify d:\Users: mklink c:\Users d:\Users /j.

If you are scheduling on affecting "Program Data", or "Program Files" by means of this process, you will be disappointed to observe that the whole thing workings as probable, however windows updates will no longer install. I am not certain if this has been solved Windows 7.I would as well advise making a system restore point before building any modify in directories as you be able to after that revert back to a earlier state.