Thread: Change username in Control Panel of Linux Mint 10

Change username in Control Panel of Linux Mint 10

I am a newbie to Linux operating systems and I want have something weird on this operating system. Actually the username that I have on my User Control Panel is not suitable to me. I want to change it but I am not able to do so. Can you guys tell me that how to change the username of the Control Panel? I am running Linux Mint 10 Julia.

Re: Change username in Control Panel of Linux Mint 10

In order to change the username on your Linux Mint machine, You need to use the usermod command. It would be modifying the system account files for reflecting the changes in the command. Use the following command.

Code:
    usermod -l login-name old-name
    After using this command, Username will gets changes from old-name to the login-name. But user's home directory name should probably be changed to reflect the new login name.

Usermod will not allow you to change the name of a user who is currently connected. You must ensure that the user named not trying to run any program when this command is executed if the user's numeric UID is changed. You must change yourself the owner of all crontab files and at jobs. You must complete all changes involving NIS on the NIS server.

The usermod command modifies the system account files to reflect the changes that were specified on the command line. The options which apply to the usermod command are:

• -L-name : The name of the user will login to connection_name. Nothing else is changed. In particular, the directory of the user will probably be changed to reflect the new login name.
    • -P password : The encrypted password, as returned by crypt.
    • -S shell : The name of the new login shell of the user. If shell is not provided, the system will select the default login shell.
    • -U uid --- : The numerical value of the ID of the user. This value must be unique, unless the-o option is used. The value must be non-negative. Values between 0 and 99 are typically reserved for system accounts. All files owned by the user are located in sub-directory tree with the directory as the root user will have their user ID changed automatically. Files located outside the user's home directory must be changed manually.
    • -L : Lock the password of a user. This option adds a '! "Before the encrypted password, effectively disabling the password. You can not use this option with-p or-U.
    • -U : Unlock the password of a user. This removes the '! "In front of the encrypted password. You can not use this option with-p or-L.