Thread: Is there any way to flush out Mono from Mint 10 DVD Edition

Is there any way to flush out Mono from Mint 10 DVD Edition

Later than substantial problems with my Intel Corporation GE Chipset included Graphics Device on-board VGA with Linux Mint 9, the computer appears to be functioning okay , and showing Flash videos easily sufficient, with Mint 10. Later than a thriving install from the Gnome Live CD, and modernize Manager update, I chosen the 'upgrade to DVD edition' alternative and let it run all night. This appears to have worked well too. However, I have in use a hate to mono, essentially because somebody someplace on the Internet said it was awful. So, I would like to flush out it from the system. I seemed in the many site and establish extremely slight for Mint 10 DVD edition. Possibly it is novel? Possibly you are an established mono shop? I would favor not to get into a conversation over why, but I would akin to know how. I did discover this Opensourcerer suggestion for Ubuntu Maverick Market. I attempted this command:

Code:
    Sudo aptitude -s purge cli-common mono-runtime
    and it appears to wish to uninstall the almost whole DVD edition?

Re: Is there any way to flush out Mono from Mint 10 DVD Edition

First off, I got to say this comes across as rather of a sprite post, and I apologies if it is not. If it is though, truthfully, take it someplace else. Now if you are serious, it is worth stating that cli common is not a fraction of Mono, and as such should not require to be detached if you actually want to clean mono. Mono should just account for a comparatively small piece of the software library, and you have named about the just 2 most people are probable to run into on a usual basis, those being f-spot and tomboy. I would recommend checking out Geeqie as a faster; lighter weight picture manager to reinstate f-spot, if you don't require a complete feature photo manager and just wish a viewer, mirage is pretty good too. As for tomboy, I not at all liked it much anyway, and have established Zim to be a much improved individual wiki style document app.

Mono is just an open source project to execute a standards acquiescent C# compiler and runtime. C# itself was initially shaped by Microsoft and for the primary quite a lot of years of its life it was blemished by their mismanagement. But in the last part it is just a different programming language, and not a half bad one at that. It is moderately simple to pick up; it takes care of many of the dirty effort for the coders for example trash collection and what not. Mono itself was initially in progress by the similar guy who began the GNOME project. Though now its project is directed by Novell it still leftovers open source. The majority of the software, counting all, is as well open source and how much I know not any of them have any binds to Microsoft. So I cannot recognize the trouble with Mono or software urbanized utilizing it in the initial place.

You are experiencing metapackage addiction. All those packages recommended for elimination are lumped below a metapackage. One of the "mint-meta-xxx" packages is what origins this. You may hope to leave this alone unless you are relaxed sufficient with the process for eliminating the metapackage itself that will not eliminate the other packages below it. If you are contented sufficient, then you can utilize aptitude and apt-get for surgical elimination. You truly should investigate this earlier than attempting since there is an option of disaster. Disclaimer: My knowledge with metapackages has been with Debian, but Linux Mint is same sufficient.
    Code:
    apt-get remove name_of_package
    aptitude keep-all