Thread: Do Atom based motherboard support Wake on LAN ?

Do Atom based motherboard support Wake on LAN ?

I have got a laptop system of Acer, I had bought around one year back , I do not have any sort of issue with my laptop, I was just concerned to include and add new technologies in it , so I was just thinking if Atom based motherboard support it or not , if any one has any sort of knowledge what it is exactly and I how I can implement that in my laptop, please come forward and give your suggestions and recommendations on this topic give your replies .

Re: Do Atom based motherboard support Wake on LAN ?

If you have got a duet receiver in your laptop computer , I will ask that how is it connected your laptop system , is it connected with any sort of cables or is it connected wireless, or I will also ask how is your SB3 is connected to your laptop. I am asking because if they are connected with cables or have a wireless setups , both make a huge difference , so please answer to this question so that you can get an appropriate response.

Wake on Lan should function directly WITHOUT downloading any sort of plugins.You will need ensure that there should be at least one WIRED association to your laptop system in order for Wake on Lan to work. (There are a number of wireless adapters than support Wake on Lan, but these are not in abundance ).Once you get hold of these adaptors , I think mostly your work will be done , but still if you get any issues you are most welcome to revert back.

If you ask my opinion you then require to make use of use the operating system control panel to regulate the properties of your network adapter to let it to bring the laptop out of sleep/hiberation and then make changes in your power settings in the operating system to send the PC to sleep/hibernate .When setting the network adapter to allow it to bring the PC out of hiberation you are advised to check the option to "Allow only Management stations to bring this out of Hibernation/standby" to stop random network packets from continually waking/sleeping your system .

To support WOL you must have a system or a machine with system board that supports WOL, along with that you will need a Network Controller (NIC) that needs to support this function . Now a days most of the latest Motherboard (circa 2002 and On), have an On Board NIC enabled on them that can support WOL feature quite efficiently . Otherwise you require to install a PCI NIC that is can chain with the WOL function .

Wake-on-LAN (WOL) is an Ethernet computer networking norm that permits a system to be turned on or woken up with the help of a feature called as network message. The message is generally sent by a program that runs on another machine on the similar local area network. Correspondent terms comprise Wake On WAN, or some time also called as Remote Wake-up, and there are a few names more such as Power On By LAN, and Power Up By LAN as well. If the system being woken is interacting through Wi-Fi, a additional standard known as Wake on Wireless LAN (WoWLAN) should be in work. .The WOL and WoWLAN standards are often carried out by suppliers by to render protocol-transparent on-demand services, for instance you can see this service in the Apple Bonjour wake-on-demand feature.

There are a few system requirements and a standard procedure that states how it can possibly being carried out . Wake-on-LAN support is carried out on the motherboard (BIOS) of a system and firm ware that is actually the network interface and is as a result does not depend on the operating system drivers of the NIC running on the machine. A few operating systems can manage Wake-on-LAN actions through hardware drivers. If the network interface is a plug-in card rather than being installed as an integral part of the system board , the card may require to be associated to the motherboard by a wire. System boards with an integrated Ethernet controller which supports Wake-on-LAN do not require any cable to enable that feature . The power supply have to satisfy ATX 2.01 specifications.Wake-on-LAN is implemented using a extraordinary network message also known as a a magic packet. The magic packet holds the physical address but usually referred as a MAC address of the destination machine . The listening computer remains awaited for a magic packet addressed to it and then starts the process of system wake-up. If Wake-on-LAN is not wanted, disabling it may decrease power consumption to some extent while the system is switched off but still plugged in.