Thread: Linux Mint 10 cannot install package

Linux Mint 10 cannot install package

I have just upgraded Linux Mint here; previously I was having version 9 and now I have version 10 here. Well the upgrade just went smooth and not with bigger issue as such. Now the thing is that after successful upgrade I cannot install the new packages here on my system. Also I cannot have the system updates also here. Whenever I try to do this I have seen that I keep getting the following message there: E: firmware-b43-installer: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1. Can anyone here please help me with the situation here?

Re: Linux Mint 10 cannot install package

Looking at the scenario of yours it seems to me that you must have not installed the update for Linux Mint in the clean manner and hence you might be getting the issue there. It will be really great if you can degrade the current MINT 10 that you have there and then can again go with the installation of this there. It seems to me that the older files and the new files must be getting conflicted and hence you might be getting the issue there. Please see try this and let me know if what I have said is correct there. Please do this at the earliest.

I am of the opinion that the version of the Linux Mint that you must have installed may be causing you the issue there as it is the latest one on the board there. Linux Mint 10 that you have installed is also known by the other name called as Linux Mint Julia. It is based on the Ubuntu 10.10 and well that is true there. Now regarding the issue let me tell you that it will take time to settle the things for this new version of Linux and if you are restless then it will be better if just downgraded yourself again to Linux Mint 9 for the flaw less work.

No I do not think that there is any issue with the new release of Linux Mint here. I have the new copy installed here on my system and let me tell you that it is working fine in my case there. I think that you will be required to make the installation again. How did you make the installation? I want to ask if you went for the simple upgrade or did you went with the clean installation there. In my case I had done the clean installation and that really helped me fetch me the right version and the right things here. Please see if you can get this in your case done as well.

Yes I am also of the same opinion and let me make it clear that it is running in a fine manner without much difficulties. I would just like to point out some of the new feature of Linux Mint 10 that has been introduced with this version. If at all you are missing on anyone then you are for sure missing on some of the files so it will be really nice if you can have the installation of this package again in your case there. This new Mint 10 has new welcome screen, in addition to this it makes the new applications highlighted that are installed here. It has support for GTK bookmarks and GTK themes. It has well manageable Update manager and Upload manager. Hope that you have all this there and if not then please go for the reinstallation.

Let me clear the procedure of getting updated to this version of the Linux Mint well see the steps and check if at all you are missing on any thing from the steps below: If you have the Linux Mint 9 then you will be required to make some changes to the sources.list file. Change the Ubuntu designations to maverick and in case of the Mint the designation will be Julia. After doing this successfully you will have to run apt-get update and then run apt-get dist-upgrade back to back. Then wait for some time and you will be able to see that some of the packages will be getting installed. Then reboot the system and you will have the NEW LINUX MINT 10 here on your system. But inspite of this it will be really better if you can go with the clean installation of the things. Download the ISO image and then burn it on the CD. Please see that you download Mint 10 32-bit. Then in the same manner you installed new operating system you can precede with the procedure there.