Thread: Getting error ‘choose the program you want to open this file’ after booting and startup Windows 7

Getting error ‘choose the program you want to open this file’ after booting and startup Windows 7

I have installed Windows 7 on my computer. Everything was running fine just before the two days. After login in to my system a dialog box is displayed on the desktop which prompts me “choose the program you want to open this file”. It happens every time when I boot or shutdown the computer. I don’t know how to overcome from this situation. Please help me to solve this problem. Thanks in advance.

Re: Getting error ‘choose the program you want to open this file’ after booting and startup Windows 7

I was also facing the solution and I tried to figure out my problem by me itself. Well user profile in my system was corrupted due to some reason. I also found that that there was no open dialog box is being displayed after creating new user account on the system. What I did? Well I did login into my corrupted account and I did open the user profile file in to the notepad as soon as open file dialog box is appeared on the screen. I tried to save the file using Save as option from the file menu and discovered that the file was situated in to C:\Users. I have deleted that file from the computer and now I am not having the problem.

Re: Getting error ‘choose the program you want to open this file’ after booting and startup Windows 7

I am suggesting you to do clean boot on your computer and find whether the third party tool is causing the problem at the startup of the system. To clean boot your system use the following instruction. You should click on the Start on the desktop. Enter msconfig in to Search box and hit Enter. If it requested to enter Admin password then let you enter the same. You have to select Startup from the General tab. Now go for the Service tab and you click on Hide All Microsoft Services check box to select and you have to click on Disable All. Now click on Ok. Reboot your computer if it is requested. Once computer is rebooted check whether the problem persists or not. If third party tools are causing the problem then run the System configuration utility to solve the problem. If you have any query please feel free to ask the same.

Well looking at the situation I am suggesting you that there is virus of malware in your compute who is causing the problem. So I am suggesting you to run Online scanner to remove virus and malware from your computer. Well Online scanner is available free. Click here Online scanner to run free check on your computer. I hope it will help you to solve your problem. Thanks a lot for the reading the solution

Well you told me that the there was no dialog box after creating the new user account then why are you not going for the creation of new user account? If still the issue is not resolved then I think registry in your computer may be corrupted. You can find the registry repair software from the internet. Well it’s available for free on the internet. I will definitely let you know if I come up with any solution.