Thread: Ubuntu LTS Versions

Ubuntu LTS Versions

The non LTS editions of Linux Mint are sustained for 18 months. Later than that extent of time, won't approximately all of the insects have been packed in? For we commonplace desktop users, is there any benefit in the additional support time specified by Long Term Support (LTS) versions? Not criticizing the lengthy term editions in anyhow. Possibly incorrect, I generally am.

Re: Ubuntu LTS Versions

This means that usual releases are will have bug fix and safety updates for 18 months, when LTS releases are sustained for 3 or 5 years which depending on the edition. In other words: if you don't wish to improve your system as a minimum each 18 months, you will wish to utilize a LTS release so you will be able to get security updates for a extended phase.

For a standard user I don't think the LTS editions give any benefit, as the software just gets too old and difficulty while installing novel hardware will definitely take place. LTS however gives an advantage while you have a system which should do accurately one thing and that endlessly for years to come. In those cases LTS provides you a steady system where you don't be required to check if things are still functioning later than a dist-upgrade; in its place it can gladly do its work without much interference. So in a word, utilize normal Ubuntu for any system which you aggressively utilize and LTS for those which you don't wish to ever touch another time later than the first setup is made.

You are not incorrect, hardyB! Ubuntu ongoing the LTS versions to conciliate commercial users who did not wish to spend the support wealth to update often. It was swear to keep setting up troubles, and more prominently, security problems for the longer term. There is no insinuation which the LTS versions are in anyhow improved. So, if you are the type of nut who likes to have the most recent and supreme all the time, then LTS has slight significance for you. But if you run a business, and you don't like boasting to pay that IT slob, then fix with the LTS versions.

There are still a few of the similar insects presented later than quite a lot of releases, not at all fixed, so no, don't be thinking all insects are canceled by 18 months, or even 3 years. Lots of just get unnoticed, or no one is worried. A large number does get sorted, but a few conspicuous problems are missing to continue even years later, which is maddening. So this is my point of view regarding this. Don’t say anymore and here I complete my point of view.