Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Folder Redirection policy object don't exist in group policy

Operating Systems

Old 08-01-2011

Folder Redirection policy object don't exist in group policy

I decided to redirect my user profile to one of the folders of my hard drive so i opened group policy and navigated to User Configuration then chose Windows Settings in tree pane but there was no Folder Redirection policy object whereas in windows xp help i read that this policy object exist in group policy,why?

Old 11-01-2011

Re: Folder Redirection policy object don't exist in group policy

To work with the issue you have to check whether the redirection policy is having the setting option for "Move the files to the new location". If so then you have to turn it Off and then go with the folder redirection and see whether this time you are able to perform the Folder Redirection operation on the Group policy or not.
Old 11-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolsy_bendal View Post
To work with the issue you have to check whether the redirection policy is having the setting option for "Move the files to the new location". If so then you have to turn it Off and then go with the folder redirection and see whether this time you are able to perform the Folder Redirection operation on the Group policy or not.
Genius, i said that this policy object doesn't exist in group policy at all but you are saying that you have to do that or don't do that for folder redirection to work?!!!,i am saying nothing as a folder redirection container exists in group policy
Here is the screenshot to better make you understand
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.JPG (55.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-01-2011

I think that there might be a few reasons for this. First, the local GPO doesn't support several policy areas that are supported on domain-based GPOs, such as software installation. So you won't see that area if you're focused on a local GPO no matter what you do. However, if that's not your situation, there could be a few reasons why you're not seeing what's expected. First off, you'll want to make sure that the MMC snap-ins that underlie each of the policy areas are actually registered. You can get a list of registered MMC snap-ins by going into the registry in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MMC\snap-ins. Snap-ins are implemented as DLLs in %systemroot%\system32. If you find that you're missing a particular snap-in from the GPO editor, try re-registering them using the following syntax:

regsvr32 mysnap-in.dll

If that doesn't work, try loading the GPO editor snap-in from a blank MMC console and verify that, from the Extensions tab when you load the snap-in that all available extensions are checked to be included. Sometimes the default GPO editor MMC tool will get changed by someone and some areas will be excluded. Finally, make sure somebody hasn't set policy on you that restricts you from loading particular Snap-ins. This policy is set in User Configuration|Administrative Templates|Windows Components|Microsoft Management Console|Restricted/Permitted Snap-ins/Group Policy/Group Policy snap-in Extensions.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , ,