Thread: Running bin files on Linux Mint 10

Running bin files on Linux Mint 10

I have recently started with Linux Mint 10 and I am quite new to it. Well my query is that how can I run and install game which contains bin file. I am unable to do anything since I don’t have any idea to begin. I am here because since many of you are familiar with Linux Mint 10. I hope you will definitely help me on this issue. Thanking you in advance. Your response will be highly appreciated. Thanks again.

Re: Running bin files on Linux Mint 10

First of all I should clear that bin files are supposed to run. They are not installed on the system. Well the question is how can you run the bin file? The answer is very simple. Just go into Terminal and change the directory where the file is saved using the cd command. To open the Terminal you have to click on Mint and the go for the Accessories and then click on the Terminal. Now try to execute the. /filename. If any error occurs then I am it definitely due to some permission issue. You have to simply change permission setting by using the chmod a+x filename command. Make sure that you are login in to system as root. Once you have completed with permission change you can try to run desired file.

Well I was also facing the same problem while running the bin files on my Linux Mint. I tried lots of stuffs but nothing of them helped me. My friend told me a trick and magically it worked for me. Please follow the instruction that I am mentioning below. It will work for you if you have placed your bin file on the desktop. Simply right click on the blank space of the desktop. Run the terminal. Now type sh xxx.bin command on the terminal and press enter. I hope it will solve your problem. Please fill free to ask if you have any query about the solution.

I am having trick that you can apply in order to execute the bin file and I think it will help you to solve your issue. Well you have to perform simple step that I had written below. You should right click on the desired file. Select Properties from the menu and select the Permission. You have to check Execute from the Permission tab. Now you have to run the terminal. You have to run ./filename command. Make sure that the spelling of the file name should be corrected and it case of the file name should be same as original since Linux is case sensitive and it will generate an error if the file is not found in the system. So please take care of file name while running the command.

Well all the above solutions are not working for you then you can go for the solution that I am going to mention below. Well you have to locate the bin file using the file manager of the Linux Mint 10. You have to enter in to the directory of the file. Now you should right click on the blank space of the file manager to open the Terminal on your command. Now enter the command /nameofyourfile. I hope it will help you to solve your problem. Please let me know if it is working or not. Please feel free if you have any query about the solution.