Thread: Update manager downloads unwanted packages in Linux Mint

Update manager downloads unwanted packages in Linux Mint

I have installed Linux Mint 32 bit on my computer. I think there is something wrong with update manager of the Linux Mint. I am not having an internet connection but still update manager tries to download updates of the Firefox automatically. For your information I had unchecked the updates of the Firefox. How can I tell update manager to which packages should be downloaded by it? What is an issue with the update manager? Please help me out form this situation.

Re: Update manager downloads unwanted packages in Linux Mint

Well I don’t know what the exact root cause of the problem is but I can let you something that may help you to overcome from this situation. Well you told me that you have unchecked the Firefox but you haven’t unchecked the branding of the Firefox, xulrunner 1.9.2 and Firefox Gnome Support. I think there are many similar dependencies will be pending for uncheck in the update manager. So check it out in your system.

I want to tell you that I was facing the similar problem with Open Office in my Linux Mint. I have unchecked all the packages excluding Truetype fonts due to which Open office was forced to download updates for entire Open office. Well the problem that you have described above occurs usually with the update manager. The package is bound to update itself until all the packages inside the main package are not unchecked. Hence I am suggesting you to uncheck the main package as well all the packages that are included inside it. So be careful while you uncheck the package.

I want to tell you that there is better update manager in Linux Mint 10 Juila. It permits you to ignore the entire list of the packages by simply right click on the target package and click on Ignore this package. There will no updates of the packages after doping this. I really don’t know whether there is any feature in Linux Mint. You can implement by downloading and installing mintUpdate version 4.19 of the package manager.