Thread: Killing windows manager in Linux Mint

Killing windows manager in Linux Mint

I have seen a podcast regarding X Windows system from the iTune app store. I have found that it is able to kill the windows manager. Well I want to kill Windows manger from my Linux Mint 10 system provided that xserver should not be shut down during this process. I tried to do but the session was closed. Please help me if you are having the solution regarding this situation. Thanks in advance.

Re: Killing windows manager in Linux Mint

Well I really don’t know about killing process of the windows Manger but I can tell you that how you can switch among various Windows manager without closing them. You can use Openbox with restart action make you to run different windows manager. You have to add following line of the code in to menu.xml file.
    Code:
    <item label="Pekwm">
    	<action name="Restart"><command>Pekwm</></>
    	</item>
    You can also do for the Pekwmby using following
    Code:
     Actions = “RestartOther openbox"
    Well I really want to say sorry since I don’t have any solution about your query

Well I am having the simple way to switch between windows Manager however you have to restart the x-server to achieve the same. Well I am providing commands that you have to paste on the terminal of the Linux Mint 10. Above mentioned command will allow you to switch between GNOME and KDE windows manager
    Code:
    trl+Alt+F1
    sudo service gdm stop
    sudo service kdm start
    and potentially: startx
    So let me know whether the above mentioned solution worked for you or not.

Well I know a solution that may you can use and I think it will definitely fix your issue. I am suggesting you to use killalll command to kill the windows manager. Basically killall commands kills all the process by using name of the process which provided as argument. If you are having PIDs (Process ID Numbers) of the process then you can terminate the process very easily. You can get the PID of the particular process by simply running ps command on the terminal. You can also use pstree command to get PIDs. However I want to let you know that theoretically killall command is perfect tool to terminate all the process from your system. You can get more information about kill command from the internet.