Thread: Want to modify product key of Windows XP

Want to modify product key of Windows XP

I was using Windows XP professional SP 2 from some time and suddenly I got the pop up message that my Windows XP is not genuine. I have bought a volume license package in recent times and I want to use one of those licenses on my computer. I want to know the process of reactivation those windows without reinstalling? If nay one having this knowledge then please suggests me.

Re: Want to modify product key of Windows XP

I have some steps for you. First download the tool and run it for checking the product key listed in the log. By this you can check if the last three sets of numbers equal the numbers on the COA sticker. If they are not matching then do a repair install with the use of the key on your COA label should solve the problem. I would suggest backing up any data, but doing a repair installation should not remove the information previously on the system and it will not insert a second copy to your hard disk.

I would recommend creating a new Windows XP CD with SP2 slipstreamed in, and then perform a Repair Install. You can use your present Windows XP SP1 CD to achieve this. You can also try this insert the windows CD in and clicked on install option. Then click on upgrade option. This helps you to keep all the settings as they are. It prompts for a product key and then installed windows. Hope this will help you.

This looks like my problem, however I don’t have idea how my Windows could not be suitable considering I have a Thinkpad T40 with inbuilt Windows, with the serial number label affixed to the base which should be genuine. At any chance, the thing that totally puzzled me, is why users unable to just be brought to a screen and type their serial number to confirm? I have studied all this things and it seems that I must do repair windows. So I also want to suggest the same to you.