Thread: I lost my partition on linux

I lost my partition on linux

I had accidentally lost my partition. I do not know how that happen. Does this can be due to broken partition table. What happen here is that the pc shutdown suddenly. And then on reboot there was nothing. I am using Linux Mint. This is the first time it happened that I lost my partition. I had updated my operating system for better functionality. If I loose everything then it is really a matter of despair. I have lots of data store on that especially the pictures. I wonder if you can recover Linux partitions, when I bring up the boot menu choice of Linux that I had was the GRUB default because the last system was installed.

Re: I lost my partition on linux

The recovery of the GRUB boot menu is actually very simple. For that you will need to get a distribution like Knoppix. Start the machine with the Knoppix boot CD and then you will enter the menu. Then simply press f1 or f3 to load the Knoppix distribution in memory and ready. Once inside the Knoppix desktop by default KDE desktop is appeared. Switched to root by typing su and go to see the symbol # that indicates that you are in root. Then type grub. After a few seconds the grub console loads. Enter root (hd1, 12). Fix the same and reboot it back.

Boot your system with Testdisk. After booting the first thing is that it will check your storage units. This can be used to rescue your deleted partition. Then choose the disk which has the partition. At this stage you can begin to manipulate the partitions found. Do not play with gparted if you have no backup. This can wipe your hard drive completely and you will loose whatever you have. After recovering the partitions immediately take out backup data, I enter with knoppix and started to move around to other machines, so it could mount ext2 and ext3 without any problems. Always use the latest version of Textdisk, to start using 5.5 and did not know me well the extended partition with 6.4 everything was like a cheese.

I have used testdisk to recover lost partitions and this really gives easy recovery. Have you tried to boot the computer with a Knoppix or other live-cd Linux, mount the partition and remove it from network to another machine. If everything was due to the installation of GRUB, then you have to do is to delete GRUB and restore the bootloader that can quiet fix the issue out. You cannot connect the hard drive to any other working system and get your data back. If you have any other operating system then you will need to fix the boot ini file or the boot loader. It mainly looks the issue of boot loader.

Why don't you try Ubuntu Rescue Remix CD. It is a Linux live CD, which allows you to boot a PC with a partition and recover lost partition recovery tool TestDisk tool. In addition to this tool, Ubuntu Rescue Remix CD contains a lot of additional useful applications for your computer. Insert the disc and run the cd. You will be at the ubuntu desktop and in the terminal type sudo testdisk. By this you can restore your old partition and done. You are know on the safer side to get your partition back. Simply boot back. Also check for the boot loader issue if found any.

Like many users on a single hard drive, I found several different operating systems. On a damaged system it is possible to recover the data by booting from a live cd. Then you can simply move your data on any other media. Once done you can try to fix back the same by installation. Use Testdisk. It is a powerful and free available program to restore a deleted partition or a partition to repair a can. You can also create the partition in that and move out your data from one to another. If the data is damaged then formatting is the only remaining option.